Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do I complain ?

(7 Posts)
DrinkGirlsFeck Wed 17-Dec-14 00:04:51

DS had an SaLT assessment at school. Therapist was late. She had forgotten her props so only had some basic cards to ask him to describe. She repeatedly got his name wrong (called him by another child's name even after I corrected her when she did it the fourth time). This meant he didn't respond well to her. We've just received the report and although some elements ring true others are, in my view, either artefacts of a poorly done assessment and/or belong to another child (she even uses the other child's name occasionally in the report). Would I be being ridiculous to complain ?

PolterGoose Wed 17-Dec-14 07:11:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 17-Dec-14 07:55:14

No way!! Complain away!!

OneInEight Wed 17-Dec-14 08:39:31

We also had very generic reports. I was also, not entirely, surprised that on comparing two reports ds2 had gone from something like the 85% percentile on the first to the 2% percentile on the second for inferential skills. The reason for the latter was that he had become very oppositional and uncooperative so basically made up the answers the complete opposite of what they should have been. There was no mention in the report that his behaviour might have meant the results were not valid. I honestly think they just copy and paste other children's reports perhaps in our case because the report was written two months after the assessment when I am sure she had forgotten most of what went on.

sammythemummy Wed 17-Dec-14 09:51:49

Oh God please do!

sweetteamum Wed 17-Dec-14 10:48:07

Oh. My. Word.

That's disgraceful. I'd certainly be sending a letter off!

DrinkGirlsFeck Wed 17-Dec-14 18:28:21

Thanks all. Couldn't work out if I was being a bit PFB.

I will write and will also raise with the school SENCO.

The bit that grated most (apart from persistently calling him the previous child's name) was that she said in the report that he wasn't able to answer questions properly or stay on task. It was because the questions were soooo inane. E.g. Picture of girl putting on wellies. Q: why is she doing that? DS (6) "because it's raining outside". He then went into describe the weather system and water cycle that they've been learning in class. In detail. But there wasn't a box for that. Gah!!!! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now