Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to teach emotional literacy

(44 Posts)
PolterGoose Mon 15-Dec-14 19:36:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MostHighlyFlavouredLady Mon 15-Dec-14 19:49:57

www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t-t-2151-blank-faces-templates

We use this to draw a 'confused' face and a 'sad' face etc. and write on the back what might trigger that.

PolterGoose Mon 15-Dec-14 19:52:56

zzzzz Mon 15-Dec-14 20:07:49

I think that ds is more friendly than your average (arf!) Aspie because he REALLY doesn't get snide as sides or criticisms. He truly believes everyone is his friend whereas more verbal children seem to work on the opposite premise.

My experience is limited though.

MostHighlyFlavouredLady Mon 15-Dec-14 20:15:57

DS' SALT who observed him in the forest with other kids said that ds tried social interactions but they were short and he struggled.

The other kids were falling out with each other and ignoring him as he had no idea what was going on. When he spoke to one of them they responded polite enough.

I have no idea what version of ASD he has. EP said moderate and not HF. SALT thinks HF but with such a sever expressive language disorder he is unable to make his HF apparent.

His receptive is far advanced of his expressive but his inability at expressive leads to an assumption of impaired receptive.

MostHighlyFlavouredLady Mon 15-Dec-14 20:18:03

Video modelling has good evidence-base though in its infancy.

www.watchmelearn.com/skill-development/social-skills

zzzzz Mon 15-Dec-14 20:29:07

Can I ask what you mean exactly by emotional literacy?

PolterGoose Mon 15-Dec-14 20:53:35

zzzzz Mon 15-Dec-14 20:58:16

I would say mine recognises everything. He doesn't know what to do with the information though. It the same (IMO) missing step in his language. He hears the sounds cobbles together a meaning. He has no problem with speech only language. In the same way he has no problem with identifying emotion only with understanding intent.

zzzzz Mon 15-Dec-14 20:59:18

With mine it is expressed as sadness and fear, anger is rare and terrifying.

Tunna Mon 15-Dec-14 21:24:47

This is something my DS has difficulties with. His emotional responses are sad, scared, bored, confused or extreme happiness. Im trying, slowly, for him to understand contentment as he tends to focus on the extremes, not realising there is a middle point.

The school have introduced nurture groups with limited success. Whilst he now has a couple of people he can ask to play with, at play times he's often at sensory overload and would rather spend the time patrolling the edges of the playground, absorbed in his own thoughts and zoning out.

zzzzz Mon 15-Dec-14 21:30:36

Much anxiety could be removed if they STOPPED calling it playtime and called it "rest time". Best thing you could do is zone out for an hour in the middle of the day if you ask me.

Chrismoosemama Mon 15-Dec-14 21:30:36

I'm just marking my place really, as I'm far too tired to contribute anything sensible/useful this evening.

I will say though that my interpretation of 'emotional literacy' is the same as Polter's. We've done lots of work on this over the past few years with ds, as it was one of his biggest barriers to coping at school, as well as communicating effectively with others. He's come a long way, but has even further left to go.

Someone on the other thread said "My DS ed psych report has a comment in there about how DS knows the 'rules' of how he should communicate but cannot out this into practice." We also have that in both ds's report and statement and for ds this is pretty much true across the board. He can know everything about anything, iyswim, but still not be able to apply it appropriately across all relevant situations. He has to be taught what is applicable in each individual setting/situation, as he simply can't generalise enough. This is however, improving as he gets older, I assume from simply having so much more life experience.

Chrismoosemama Mon 15-Dec-14 21:34:27

"his emotional scale goes from super-fabulous-brilliant-best day ever to raging-fury-devastated-suicidal- worst day ever with little in between. "

This is exactly what we found with ds and it's taken almost 5 years of work to get him to the point where he can now see some shades of grey. It's such a challenging thing to work on, because it requires a great deal of self-awareness for them to even begin to be able to make sense of what they're feeling and the most noticeable ones are always going to be the extremes. To start recognising that feeling a bit jittery/butterflies in the stomach is actually part of an emotion is a really big ask.

PolterGoose Mon 15-Dec-14 21:37:32

Ineedmorepatience Mon 15-Dec-14 21:45:12

Interesting thread, I admit to being clueless about how to help Dd3 with understanding her emotions, she is very delayed in this area.

She is either happy,scared, sad or angry really nothing else. I have been banging on and on and on at schools and outside proffs to help us with this because until she recognises when she is getting into difficulty how is she ever going to be able to ask for help sad

Tired and overly emotional tonight but will watch the thread with interest.

Tunna Mon 15-Dec-14 21:48:21

Zzzz, you're right and it's hard to find the balance. Some days he comes home saying nobody plays with him but when questioned he'll tell you he had lovely time on his own following ants along the wall during lunch break.

I think it's important that he has that time to regulate his sensory thermometer, but then worry it's at the expense of developing his social skills.

zzzzz Mon 15-Dec-14 22:03:27

But I think social skills (well any skills really) only develop when you DON'T need a rest. When you have the capacity to learn because your needs have been met.

So you see play time rest time was NEVER going to be the time to learn social skills. The more robust children can, but not a child who's already worked five times as hard to get through the morning.

Borka Mon 15-Dec-14 22:14:57

That's so true zzzzz. I have an unresolved disagreement with DS's school because they think he can learn social skills purely by being in the playground whereas I think he needs specific teaching of social skills before he can cope with being in the playground.

DS can identify emotions on drawn faces very well, and even suggest reasons why they might be happy or sad, but that's because he's learnt what he's supposed to say. He can't apply it to his own feelings at all.

DustInTheWind Mon 15-Dec-14 22:28:07

With DS, I used films, and DVDs as he got older.
We started working out how a character was feeling, what they might do next, what would have been a better course of action, why the other characters did or didn't understand what was going on, what the predictable consequences were, if the character made a bad choice, what could they do to fix it.
Took the heat and emotion out of things, made it an analytical and scientific study.

DustInTheWind Mon 15-Dec-14 22:28:49

I agree, specific teaching was the only thing that worked, picking it up as he went along? Not a chance.

zzzzz Mon 15-Dec-14 22:30:02

I agree TV is your friend. Start with cartoon and work up to film.

blanklook Mon 15-Dec-14 23:02:22

Depends on their ages and interests, dd was really into trashy soaps and things like Gilmour Girls and Charmed and Real Housewives at the time we were doing a lot of that and would learn to extrapolate plots and forward-guess and check for spoilers in trashy magazines online, then be delighted when she'd got it right. I found that approach so helpful because the scripts are upright and moral, you watch the intrigue and outrage but justice prevails in the end. There are loads of plotlines but because of the audience demographic, everything is predictable and easy to follow. The sometimes over-acting is also great for facial expressions and voice intonations for illustrations of emotions.

streakybacon Tue 16-Dec-14 08:36:59

Thanks for starting this thread Polter. I'll chip in later fsmile.

stillstandingatthebusstop Tue 16-Dec-14 09:13:19

Interesting thread. I agree that it's difficult and complex. Busy day but I will hopefully have time to chip in later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now