Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Education Psychologist Cognitive Assessments

(5 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Mon 15-Dec-14 10:34:56

Rang up Ed Psy to let them know that DS was not academically fine and bright (as the teachers mistakenly told her) but he us niw very behind but operating 'as expected' (impling he is lower than average intelligence)

At the Ed Psy school assessment of DS, they saw all my concerns but concluded, as he was academically fine, bright all was well.

Until we saw the issues on parenting evening report. We thought he was doing well, as the teachers had told us the same. sad

Ed Psyc are concerned that he has been on phase 3 phonics for 8 terms frpm reception through year 2. They confirmed that an 'average' child should be finish or be close to finishing phase 6 by the end of this academic year.

Ed Psyc agreed an cognitive assessment is essential to find out how school can improve DS's learning. Whatever the results he is not learning, so he is either bright with SEN or not bright, either way he needs some level of support.

Ed Psyc suggested WPPIS assessment (I think, I did write it down) a younger version of WISC assessment.

The Ed Psyc is sending an email to the particular Ed Psyc who did the first assessment and they want me to post copies of all NHS reports too !

All because even though his needs are very real, they are subtle. Therefore his issues are overlooked and minimizer at school, as other children with greater and more obvious SEN. i.e. DS is quiet masking child in school who brings his anxiety home with him.

I feel quite positive..just one issue...
school will have to pay for this extra session angry and it took me a year to get the first one. But as it was the school fault they had not looked at DS's school records or noticed he was so far behind...they should morally put him forward for this cognitive assessment without complaint.

Wish me luck grin

PolterGoose Mon 15-Dec-14 15:02:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babieseverywhere Mon 15-Dec-14 15:11:50

Thanks Poulter smile I have asked them to move it.

Babieseverywhere Mon 15-Dec-14 21:24:40

Bump for new board.

Babieseverywhere Tue 16-Dec-14 07:41:24

Checked my notes it is an WPPSI assessment (not WWPIS).

Well all emails sent to the school last night and replies starting to come back. No response on the cognitive assessment yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now