Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

CBT for 8 year old with ASD

(4 Posts)
Pasteurella Sat 13-Dec-14 22:31:41

We think that DS2 (8, Aspie) has become a bit stuck in a loop with negative thought patterns, and from what we've heard CBT is quite good at getting children out of that from about this age. He's always telling us how he's not good at anything (he is, but expects to be the best at something instantly without any effort or he decides he will never be!).

Has anyone had any experience of CBT for this kind of thing? And could anyone recommend someone they've tried or heard of around SW/central London? We would really like to get this knocked on the head before it gets entrenched, and although we try to be positive about good things he's done he doesn't seem to listen to us (or maybe we're not saying it in the right way?).

PolterGoose Sun 14-Dec-14 09:19:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 14-Dec-14 09:41:38

There is a psychologist who attends the Aspie girls group I attend who says she uses CBT successfully with some children with Asd so it could be worth a try.

You are right to try to boost the positive, I was at a conference recently where the speaker suggested using special interests much more as a way to increase positivity and that people with Asd need far more positive thoughts/feelings and experiences to boost them so that they are better equipped to deal with the negative stuff.

The speaker was Peter Vermeulen (sp) from belgium and I believe he has written some books. You could also look at the GAP (Good autism practice) book on Autism, well being and happiness written by the British institute of learning disabilities.

Good luck smile

Pasteurella Sun 14-Dec-14 21:51:24

Thanks for that, I'll follow up the info! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now