Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Me again- school, TA and ABA

(9 Posts)
sammythemummy Fri 12-Dec-14 12:32:13

So dd goes to school <big cheer>

School is lovely, SENCO is nice and they have been impressed with the whole ABA. They agreed that she will have a 1:1 for the whole duration she's there. Currently we've agreed to part time inclusion as she's not 5 till spring ( we'll be doing our home programme is the afternoons).

School have agreed to consultant coming in and for my tutor to "train" their TA. Everything is brilliant so far. But here's the problem, the TA has zero peoples skills herself, no interaction with other kids, very monotonous kept asking dd "oh what's this? What's that called? Look what's this?" This went on throughout the whole time I was there.
When she's not bombarding her with questions, she just sits back.

It's only been a couple of days but I'm filled with worries at how she's going to do when me and my tutor aren't there.

I'm torn between giving her time to absorb and learn from my tutor and hope that in time she'll be more confident

Or that I ask them if my tutor can come in instead.
Obviously I don't want to rock the boat with them (by indirectly saying your TA is not good enough) as they've been very accommodating as it is.

Btw, they have mentioned that they will be hiring an extra person for when she goes in afternoons.

salondon Fri 12-Dec-14 15:14:03

Hard one Sammy... If I were you I would be worrying too... Its hard to change a person's personality isn't it

Can she come and see some home sessions?

cansu Fri 12-Dec-14 17:51:32

I would give it some time. The TA may be nervous when you are there and is probably trying too hard. The best thing would be for her to observe and then to team teach with your TA until she is ready to take over.

sammythemummy Fri 12-Dec-14 18:40:09

Salondon, I've asked her to come to the house next week as we have a workshop in the morning, she said she's not sure she might be busy with another child (she's meant to be with my dd at that time so technically she could come) but she said she will after the holidays- fair enough

I do think that some of it was due to nerves but the rest I fear might be her personality, she kind of looked like she didn't want to be there confused

I hope I'm wrong

Taramara Fri 12-Dec-14 18:40:33

Hi
I thought I was in this position with a TA - but has turned out to be brilliant - just needed some settling in time

sammythemummy Fri 12-Dec-14 18:50:18

That's reassuring Tara, how was she towards constructive criticism?

itiswhatitiswhatitis Fri 12-Dec-14 18:54:16

Ds's first TA came across as very quiet and not dynamic at all but she actually did an excellent job with ds and he made fantastic progress with her.

sickofsocalledexperts Fri 12-Dec-14 19:58:37

I agree that it wasn't always the bubbly ones who were best, sometimes the ones I thought very up exciting at first sight turned out to form a really gentle, helpful bond with my boy

sickofsocalledexperts Fri 12-Dec-14 19:59:38

Unexciting - how do I turn off this stupid autocorrect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now