Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do governers rule on attendance at medical appointments ?

(11 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Tue 09-Dec-14 18:43:14

I had mentioned to the deputy head that DS's had been offered a weekly OT session via a local charity weeks ago and wanted to know how to square this with the school.

I had previously spoken to the school behaviourist and Senco but I had no response until today I read an email from the Senco, which made me cross and sad at the same time.

Apparently the Head had spoke to the head governer (small village school) and they wanted me to write details of this OT appointments

" with the details of what you would like to do and why you feel this is important for (DS name)"

With several references to my "request".

But it isn't a request it is an medical appointment...I was being polite asking school the correct procedure I wasn't asking permission sad angry

The school have been clear how they do not believe me and my DS has no issues.

I have already replied politely pointing out that it is an NHS OT who is horrified confused as to why we are not attending the place we have been offered. Plus this OT wants the school to do daily OT sessions with DS, which the OT assures me that all schools do as standard when asked waits for signs of hell freezing over

Guess I just wanted people's opinions is it normal for governers to discuss things like this, I was expecting the school to look up the correct code for the register not discuss IF DS should be allowed to go at all. sad

Ironic, school still sure DS is "fine".

Ineedmorepatience Tue 09-Dec-14 18:59:53

It will be something to do with their attendance figures I expect babies!

Is your Ds going to miss a registration? When Dd3 went out of school for OT she went after afternoon register so it didnt effect their data!!

Your OT would have been disappointed with Dd3's primary school, they never managed to do any of her OT work in school sad

Its crap isnt it! Is there another alternative for your Ds? I am sure you have been asked that before hmm

tallulah Tue 09-Dec-14 19:15:04

I'm a school governor and this doesn't come under our remit.

PolterGoose Tue 09-Dec-14 19:35:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babieseverywhere Tue 09-Dec-14 20:24:54

Wonders will never cease ! Had an email from school confirming they will liase with OT lady....Let's hope this goes forward in a positive manner.

Great...now just got to sort out DS's anxiety levels, sleep patterns and academic issues and we will be ready for Christmas grin

Ineedmorepatience Tue 09-Dec-14 20:48:10

YAY!! One small positive step grin

One step at a time babies wink

PolterGoose Tue 09-Dec-14 20:56:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babieseverywhere Tue 09-Dec-14 20:59:30

No it shouldn't be this hard but I will do whatever I can do to get DS the help he needs, one tiny step at a time.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 09-Dec-14 21:14:46

Just pace yourself and choose your battles babies, assert yourself and let them know that you and you Ds must be taken seriously, dont be afraid to rock their boats and always email any contact to create that paper trail.

It helps to focus them, if they know you have a record of everything your have requested and everything they have said to you!

Stay strong flowers

MairEyaNewAlibi Tue 09-Dec-14 22:21:01

Find school nurse, ring her, ask her to confirm with OT that you're not randomly inventing issues just so you get to waste your life ferrying a dc to pointless appointments. And prep OT that she's going to get a call from school to say they think you've imagined everything.

Probably only one school nurse left covering 20 schools. Which can be good- likely to have 30 years experience, and little patience left for busybodies thinking they should over-rule healthcare professionals' treatment decisions. Hopefully she'll give them short shrift politely confirm protocol

Babieseverywhere Tue 09-Dec-14 23:28:52

I do need to locate the school nurse.

OT was perplexed enough with schools blank questionaire with "this child has no issues" in the note section. Compared with my detailed and back up with evidence questionaire.

But whatever she saw or not (I haven't seen report yet)...she was clear that he needed some level of daily OT input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now