Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Me again, ds1. Moan, moan, moan.

(6 Posts)
DishwasherDogs Mon 08-Dec-14 11:53:46

Sorry, I had a thread about ds1 a few weeks ago and lost it.

He's been assessed for dyslexia but it doesn't show the typically spiky profile that is expected.
I've spoken to the principal at the local dyslexia centre, and seeing her on Wednesday (but I think that's because I cried on the phone blush)
She suggests it looks more like a global learning difficulty and to ask for a referral.

She suggested CAMHS, but in my area they are solely for MH.
Would I need to ask for a referral to the developmental paediatrician again?
What sort of things will/can he be assessed for?

bjkmummy Mon 08-Dec-14 13:29:34

who has already assessed him for dyslexia? what areas are causing you concern?

DishwasherDogs Mon 08-Dec-14 13:47:58

He did an online assessment at school but scores below average for everything. Apparently with dyslexia you would expect high vocab and something else, but he is low for everything.

He is 14 but has a reading age of 8, has poor organisational skills, if you spell a word to him and read out more than two letters at a time he forgets the whole lot, is generally struggling at school but tends to mess about so we are constantly told he doesn't have a problem, he needs to start listening (ds says he finds it impossible to focus)

At home we have noticed social problems, dislikes change and other things.

He has only just started opening up and talking about this, is only just admitting how difficult he is finding things. He refuses to go out as he feels everyone is bullying him (they're not, it's mutual banter).

So quite a few areas that are concerning me, but nothing to really put your finger on, and no help at school because he plays the fool all the time.

PolterGoose Mon 08-Dec-14 14:19:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bbkl Mon 08-Dec-14 14:20:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DishwasherDogs Mon 08-Dec-14 16:18:28

Sorry, previous referral was for ds2.
He did have involvement with CAMHS 2 years ago, but was signed off last year. It wasn't helpful.

I'll ask school to refer to the EP and will also ring the GP and chat to them as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now