Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

3rd independent EP assessment and Dd3's writing scores have gone down again :-( Surely they have to listen now!!

(14 Posts)
Ineedmorepatience Fri 05-Dec-14 18:14:39

So Dd3 has had another top up assessment this week and the scores are in! Verbally she is way up in the 87th centile but her writing is on the 1st now having gone down from the 3rd last yr and 2nd in June. It has dropped because her age has increased and she hasnt made any progress at all.

The EP is saying that her difficulties are caused by her ASD and not by phonological dyslexia but that she does have difficulties tackling words that are new to her.

The tribunal expert panel member argued that she didnt meet the criteria for dyslexia according to the Rose Report in our last tribunal confused so this EP is being ultra careful with his language.

Anyway this along with the evidence from the school data which shows virtually no progress since yr 4 is quite promising in terms of the tribunal which is fast approaching but awful for poor Dd3 who has had another yr of struggling when the school had proff or her difficulties more than 12 months ago.

Will keep battling on!!

2boysnamedR Fri 05-Dec-14 19:07:56

Tell me about it. The more evidence I get of ds difficulties the better the school say he is doing.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 05-Dec-14 19:16:30

Yeah we have had similar at primary school.

I didnt tell the new school that she has made no progress since yr 4 and they have recorded the same levels as the end of yr 6 for this term so that shows no progress again.

I wouldnt have expected her to have made any this term to be honest as moving to secondary was massive for her.

But I still think that they may have boosted her levels if I had told them that I was basing my appeal on the lack of progress!

It is awful when you feel that you have to keep important information to yourself so that it cant be used to cover things up.

I will be glad when this tribunal is over sad

PolterGoose Fri 05-Dec-14 20:05:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 05-Dec-14 20:07:39

First week of Jan shock, all the evidence has to be in next week!

Ineedmorepatience Fri 05-Dec-14 20:07:51

Oh and thankyou smile

PolterGoose Fri 05-Dec-14 20:09:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nigel1 Fri 05-Dec-14 20:24:49

There is no one legal definition of dyslexia, the Rose review is one, ICD10, DSM V BPS BDA all have different definitions. She cant hold out and say there is only the one.
Even if the child doe not meet the definition she clearly has something so why not just say a specific learning difficulty?

Ineedmorepatience Fri 05-Dec-14 20:40:36

Hi nigel and thanks. the EP has said that her difficulties are probably a sideline of her ASD but I am seeing him again tomorrow so will ask him that question smile

Handywoman Fri 05-Dec-14 20:58:55

I feel for you Ineed sounds like you are doing a fab job.

Honk honk honk honk honk thanks

Ineedmorepatience Fri 05-Dec-14 21:37:00

Thanks handy, oh and polter thanks for the Ribena wink

bjkmummy Fri 05-Dec-14 21:40:06

fingers crossed I need - my deadline is the week after yours - im awaiting my indie EP report coming in which is due next week - it will also say my DD has made no progress in the last year and has in fact gone from being 33 months behind to 46 months behind - they will still take me to tribunal but that's my LA for you as we all know. ive got everything crossed for you that they see the light

2boysnamedR Fri 05-Dec-14 21:40:30

It's doubly horrible doing this over Christmas. If I loose mine I am going to have to learn to be more sneeky for the future. I know I be doing this all again in year five.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 05-Dec-14 21:53:01

Thankyou bjk it would be a great xmas present if they conceded but I dont think they will for a minute, I think the SEN rep gets a kick out of going to tribunals!

They have had a letter off my MP this week too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now