Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Christmas overload survival strategies anyone?

(5 Posts)
PassTheProsecco Thu 04-Dec-14 18:15:03

After a VERY rocky start to (MS) school in September our DS (just turned 5) settled down LOADS, eventually. Steep learning curve for all in involved! Since half term he has been on a fairly even keel, thank god!

We are now entering the downward spiral of Christmas overload. Joy.

Christingle, nativity rehearsals, Christmas dinners, Christmas parties, festive dress down days, Christmas fairs.... they are all steadily cranking up to full volume and the levels of excitement combined with the changes in routine blow DS's mind.

He has fantastic 1:1 support at school, and he has coped pretty well so far, but day by day I can see him 'enthusiastically' struggling that bit more. When I say struggling I'm talking lots of inappropriate silliness, meltdowns (over 'nothing') at home, and general loss of emotional control.

The school have been great. We had a meeting re Christmas in advance and amongst other things we are planning to drop his hours over the last week or two of the term to try not to over face him.

Just wondered if anyone else had any Christmas survival strategies??? Even my eldest gets a bit defiant when it comes to this time of year at school, so I assume we aren't the only ones who struggle!

All suggestions and experiences welcome! smile

greener2 Thu 04-Dec-14 19:42:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coppertop Fri 05-Dec-14 17:12:56

I posted this on greener2's thread:

I do:

- Letting ds choose his presents from us (within reason!) so that there isn't as much anticipation and wondering what he might get.

- Ds' bedroom has been declared a Christmas-free zone. It's kept exactly as it is for the rest of the year, and even his Advent calendar stays downstairs. He retreats there when it gets too much for him.

- Leaving decorations until closer to Christmas. We all generally get fed up with them after a few days anyway so it's good for everyone.

- Preparing him in advance for any planned events.

It's difficult because in many ways my ds actually really likes Christmas, but at the same time it can be his worst nightmare. It's great that you've got the support of your ds' school. Being able to opt out of some of the activities will be a great help.

Good luck!smile

AngelCauliflower Sun 07-Dec-14 20:31:21

my ds wants Christmas to be the same every year. He wants to see the same Santa on the same day. Watch the same movies/TV programmes. So we have a few family things we do every year and we also plan lots of nice time at home watching his Christmas movies. He is in his second year at primary school so knows what to expect this year. Christmas day will be much the same as last year so he knows what to expect - same food & same routine and seeing as few people as possible. Ds knows what most of his presents will be so not too many surprises.

Because he knows a lot of what will be happening will be familiar to him, I think he will be quite calm and flexible about some things. He loves Christmas now. I think it was very confusing for him when he was younger.

BlackeyedSusan Sun 07-Dec-14 21:27:48

lots of inappropriate silliness, meltdowns (over 'nothing') at home, and general loss of emotional control.

ditto. same here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now