Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Makaton

(11 Posts)
xmalteserx Thu 04-Dec-14 12:04:43

Hello I am interested in finding out about more about Makaton.

My questions are:

What are your thoughts/experiences of Makaton?
What do you think the advantages/disadvantages of using Makaton are?
Did it help communication and speech development?
Were you worried it would hinder speech development?
Why did you use this over other sign systems and communication aids?

Sorry for all the questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated

PolterGoose Thu 04-Dec-14 12:10:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adrianna22 Thu 04-Dec-14 14:49:09

Looks like for research purposes- if it is, this post needs to clearly state that.

xmalteserx Thu 04-Dec-14 15:24:54

I look after 2 boys with autism and their parents were wondering about whether to start using Makaton.
I am also doing a degree in Special Education and was just interested in what people thought of it in case I chose to do it for my dissertation next year.

Sorry

hazeyjane Thu 04-Dec-14 19:34:15

What are your thoughts/experiences of Makaton? it has enabled my son to communicate.
What do you think the advantages/disadvantages of using Makaton are? the only disadvantage is that it isn't more widespread
Did it help communication and speech development? yes
Were you worried it would hinder speech development? no
Why did you use this over other sign systems and communication aids? it is possible to be used at a very young age, we are now going to use it in conjunction with an AAC device

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 04-Dec-14 19:43:53

It is fantastic easy and has helped lots of my students find their voice.

nancyoliver Fri 05-Dec-14 06:29:18

People fear that using signs will stop a child talking... That is utter rubbish though...

They also think signing is just for deaf children - again - wrong!!!

My youngest child, totally non verbal - many reasons. Started makaton at 2, which is ALWAYS used alongside speech. Within weeks, my child could communicate at last with me...soon after the speech cane. It helped 'Unlock' the communication.

Why use makaton - as it supplements speech:
You say "Arthur, do you want a drink" and you sign keywords. "DRINK" so they hear and take in the while english grammar / syntax of language, but the communication is aided as the key point is highlighted and emphasised by a sign. I also know bsl and there is a sign for each word of the sentence quoted. But when using makaton you SAY everything and SIGN the key parts.

Hope that helps.

Roll on 7 years,my child doesn't stop talking... Talks non stop. Literally gone from one extreme to the other. Signs still used at times for emphasis (multiple special needs)

That's our personal experience - seen similar breakthroughs professionally (working with kids in many settings) - never heard anything but good things about it's usage. Enlightened nurseries / preschools sometimes use it for ALL children. Those who can talk it doesn't hurt them, those who are learning/ struggling with communication- it helps immensely.

CwtchesAndCuddles Fri 05-Dec-14 13:20:32

My ds is 7 and has autism and learning difficulties. He was non verbal at 4 but now uses some language suported by a mix of pecs and sign. It has been a very helpful tool for us and school.

xmalteserx Thu 11-Dec-14 11:12:18

Thank you for your help and answers. It sounds really good smile

Liliuk Sat 13-Dec-14 12:22:28

we had debate Makaton versus PECS for my son. he was starting to be verbal but needed a method to augmentate speech. both method can achieve that but the benefit of Maketon was that you could prompt speech easily anywhere. for example sign "I want to eat....." and the child speak what you signed. you can do that intensively to help develop it naturally (ABA principle). this helped my son a great deal.

bishboschone Sun 14-Dec-14 17:55:16

We use Makaton as our main way of communicating . It has no way hindered his speech ( of course I don't know that 100%) . It has helped his understanding and frustration .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now