Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Nursery academic year group

(5 Posts)
Thankgoodnessforcheerios Tue 02-Dec-14 17:56:28

My DS was 3 in October, the LA have informed me that he doesn't fall into the nursery academic year group until September 2015. I was under the impression it was the term after they turned 3 and therefore it would be January?

bedelia Tue 02-Dec-14 18:46:57

According to the Gov.uk website, you are right in that your DS is eligible for the 15 hours funding from January: https://www.gov.uk/free-early-education

If you already have a nursery in mind, get in touch with them about it, you may be able to make the application through the nursery (and secure your place).

Some children are eligible from age 2, depending on income, whether parents receive DLA, or whether a statement/EHCP is in place.

I had a similar runaround with my LA about this, my DS was entitled from age 2 but was only able to start until literally 2 weeks before his third birthday. The nursery I'd got his name down with intervened for me though I still had to wait for a reference number for the funding to happen!

Ineedmorepatience Tue 02-Dec-14 19:43:56

Some school nurseries wont take children until the september following their 3rd birthday.
Look around for an independent setting, a local playgroup type setting or a day nursery, there is some good provision out there if you shop around. Beware of top up fees that some day nurseries are still charging even though they are not supposed to.

Also if he has SN's some special schools have nursery provision .

Good luck smile

Thankgoodnessforcheerios Tue 02-Dec-14 22:08:46

Thank you both. It was the reason my LA gave for not placing my DS in the provision we named in part 4 of his statement. However I have since discovered that the nursery we chose can take children the term after they turn 3 and would have taken him.

It seems as though the places have all been taken now for January and my DS was not considered fairly due to their confusion with age limitations of the nursery. I will be appealing but not sure what I can do if no places are available.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 03-Dec-14 07:47:49

If the nursery is named on his statement, the school can go over the specified number!!

You may have to stand your ground over this, I would ring your statementing officer this morning and tell him/her that you are very unhappy that your son has potentially missed out on a nursery place despite the setting being named on his statement!

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now