Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Terrified at the idea of university

(8 Posts)
SauvignonBlanche Tue 02-Dec-14 15:04:15

DS went on his first Uni visit on Saturday, he missed all the summer ones as I was in hospital and he wouldn't do anything about on his own.

I organised and booked this one, it was the only one still available at this late date. He does want to go, he just doesn't want to do anything about it.

He was quite stressed at the visit as was worried that there might be crowds (he has AS) but once we found the right building he calmed down and it went well and it has helped to focus his mind as to what he wants to do.

The problem is I haven't slept a wink since then! I can't cope with the idea of him going. blush

I'm sure parents of NT teenagers must worry too but I'm beside myself even to the stage of hoping that he fails his A levels!

I've tried to steer him towards our local university and living at home but he's not having any of that. sad

How do I get a grip?

OneInEight Tue 02-Dec-14 16:03:28

Mine are not that age yet but I saw a thread on "30 days only" this weekend on a very similar topic so worth taking a look there. It will terrify me too when the time comes.

amberlight Tue 02-Dec-14 16:35:10

If it helps at all, our son, autistic, dyspraxic and dyslexic, got his Uni foundation degree in psychology & counselling in the last few months, and is now working full time. He was in Uni halls of residence for a year, then in a house with several other lads (non-disabled). There were some eek times but also many good ones. It can be done...

SauvignonBlanche Tue 02-Dec-14 17:36:13

Thanks amber, he's confident (perhaps too confident). I've calmed down a bit but Saturday night I was almost panicking!

kleinzeit Tue 02-Dec-14 22:12:42

Would your DS be interested in going to one of these - Bath university residential summer school for potential university students with ASCs? They ran in 2013 and 2014, hopefully they'll do one next year too.

SauvignonBlanche Wed 03-Dec-14 13:13:15

That looks fantastic kleinzeit, I wish he was applying to Bath!

PolterGoose Wed 03-Dec-14 15:01:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kleinzeit Wed 03-Dec-14 18:54:13

(I think it's available to any potential university students, even if they're not planning to go to Bath)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now