Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this dyslexia?

(8 Posts)
Allisgood1 Mon 01-Dec-14 11:27:42

Not quite sure where to start...

Dd1 is 6 yrs old, year 1. Her teacher has hinted pointed out that Dd is "probably dyslexic". Having looked into this further, I'm not so sure. Here is what she does:

-gets b and d sounds mixed up when reading (not every time but pretty regular)
-a lot of her letters are backwards (d,b,p,q)
-she struggles with numbers. For example will say '57' when its '27'. Took her a long time to learn numbers 11-20 but it seemed to click over the summer and now she does pretty well with 1-100 other than sometimes getting it backwards.
-she knows all her letter sounds to fluency other than sometimes getting b and d mixed up but usually that's with words not single letter sound
-she is one of the oldest in her class but in the lowest set for spelling and maths.
-she is reading at a blue level (4) and comprehends fluently (no comprehension concerns)
-she is extremely shy, verging on selectively mute and often says "I don't know" at school if she isn't sure of the answer
-she still has to sound out high frequency words such as "had", "what" and "where". She can read "the", "a", "children"

Should I be getting her assessed for dyslexia? Or a learning disability? Or is all that quite normal?

PolterGoose Mon 01-Dec-14 20:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

greener2 Tue 02-Dec-14 21:02:57

jackjacksmummy Wed 03-Dec-14 19:31:41

Hi there,

I teach in a year 1 class and from what you are listing I would disagree with the teacher.

A lot of children this age struggle with letter and number reversal - even some of my high ability children mix them up but when pointed out they know they've done it the wrong way round. We teach them to use "bed fingers" as a visual aid to help them get it the right way round.

Blue reading level is about average for a year 1 child at this stage of year 1 (don't forget they've only just left reception and term 1 is mainly a settling down period where they go from learning through play and free flow learning to actual sitting down at a table and learning).

I have about 8 children on green, orange and turquoise, my middle ability are all around yellow & blue.
Year 1 is usually where children's reading takes off so if she's still blue around April/May time I'd be concerned then but I still wouldn't be thinking dyslexia, I'd be looking into getting them into extra reading interventions.

HFW (high frequency words) are a tricky area, children are expected to learn them by sight, not by sounding them out but the problem comes when children try sounding which is their natural response. Again, only my Highers know their 45 HFW, the others who don't know them all have had worksheets sent home and games to play. My extreme lowers (those who only got I & a) I have put into a 1:1 intervention during school hours.

Regarding her shyness - I would suggest maybe a nurture group to boost her confidence.

So..... I'd say your daughter sounds perfectly fine and has nothing to worry about in fact I think it was quite unprofessional for the teacher to suggest dyslexia to you - schools won't test til after they are 7 because it's so common for children to get mixed up.

greener2 Wed 03-Dec-14 21:28:05

jackjacksmummy Wed 03-Dec-14 21:49:35

Yeah sure,

Here is the link for more about the bed fingers

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/b-and-d-confusion-poster

Sorry I don't know how to link on phone!
When they're making the "bed fingers" with their hands they're basically doing the thumbs up sign with both hands and putting them together. The left hand makes the "b" and the right hand makes the "d" with the fists in the middle making the "e"

Also not all children will learn with phonics & blending - my son never has but he has learnt to look for smaller words within the words and to segment words although if your daughter is on purple then I would have thought those are strategies she's already learnt.

If there's anything else you want advice on just ask or pm me x

Allisgood1 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:24:30

Thank you jackjack. This is the most informative response I've had from anyone thus far smile

jackjacksmummy Wed 03-Dec-14 23:37:09

You're welcomesmile

P.S - thought I'd point out, it's not a major issue if children do sound out HFWs - a lot of them are able to be sounded out and then blended. Eventually a child will remember what it is without sounding it out. Similarly there are words that can't be sounded out or can but then don't sound like a real word. "Was" is a common one and children are taught to think what it might be instead. If they apply that theory to other HFWs and within their reading then that also helps massively.

If I am reading with a child and they phonetically sound out a word which then doesn't make sense I will always wait for them to finish that sentence before correcting them because sometimes they'll understand that what they read didn't make sense and will revisit the word. If they move on without realising then you need to think about whether the child comprehending what they've read and ask questions about the story to see if they've understood it.

Also, contrary to what a lot of people think (I used to before I went into education!) - children are allowed to use pictures to help them grasp the story, especially if they are on a page with a hard word and they can then link the word with the picture. Helicopter for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now