Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Controlling DS temper

(3 Posts)
adrianna22 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:41:49

I'm finding it hard to control DS, who is 4 and has ASD, temperaments.

He hates it when people- strangers more the case, tell him off. He really doesn't like it.

We were at a party and DS did something and a parent came up to him looking quite stern and told him off- she wasn't even shouting. But DS took this opportunity to turn his back to her and he threw his drink up in the air hmm. He does this when angry.

Even at home- it's getting a bit ridiculous now- but every time I tell him off, he would throw something on the floor, throw something in the air, bang his room door shut etc.

I know his telling me that his angry- but why does he need to be so physical about this?

PolterGoose Sun 30-Nov-14 21:15:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jacksterbear Mon 01-Dec-14 21:51:14

Strong proprioceptive input releases stress chemicals - hence head-banging, biting, stamping, rolling around in the floor etc, is common in autistic meltdowns (and typical toddler tantrums, and in NT children sometimes too... and why we all get the urge to bang our heads on our desks sometimes when stressed!).

(I only recently put two and two together on this, so apologies if you knew this already!)

This book has a good explanation (have linked to the relevant page... actually this book is generally very good).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now