Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My DD says everything twice (not echolalia) - any ideas how to help her?

(12 Posts)
bbkl Wed 26-Nov-14 11:08:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bbkl Wed 26-Nov-14 11:21:28

bbkl Wed 26-Nov-14 19:46:50

PolterGoose Wed 26-Nov-14 19:54:02

bbkl Wed 26-Nov-14 20:03:51

FridayJones Thu 27-Nov-14 10:54:28

I don't think that repeating your own words as opposed to someone else's excludes echolalia. There are lots of different kinds. I think my dd has all of them, but she's only 4, so it's still 'cute' to the adults although the 5 yr olds already avoid her. We'll be working on it with the speechie before she starts primary.
She can/will recite entire books/scenes of movies, but can't stop once started. This is currently under control. Or will just repeat the same word again and again. It's been quack for several months now. Or she will repeat back phrases she's just heard. Or she will say a sentence then repeat it over and over. Or just repeat the last word of the sentence once.
So lots of different types.

So maybe there may be some helpful resources in dr google ("how to reduce echolalia") that you've excluded from your searching previously.

kleinzeit Thu 27-Nov-14 11:12:23

The strategy I would try first is to Have Serious Words with the school about the teasing. Your DD probably has an ASC and teasing her for harmless and inoffensive behaviour that is related to her disability is absolutely Not On. If the other children were teasing her about a limp, would the school expect you to stop her limping, or would they be telling the kids to stop the teasing? The school should have an anti-bullying policy and inclusion/anti-discrimination policies, which you can ask to see (they may be in the school website). The school should also be finding ways to support her in making friends.

The other children are bullying her (and yes, persistent teasing is bullying) because she is socially “different” and the repetition is an obvious difference. She may need help with her social skills and hopefully that will be offered. It’s more important that she learns positive skills that she is missing, like how to greet children and respond to greetings and hold a conversation (a lot of children with ASCs need extra help to learn to do those things), than that she becomes self-conscious about a harmless habit that other kids have cruelly picked on.

bbkl Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:50

OldAntiquity Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:53

I agree with the last two posts. A YouTube video I watched by a person with autism used this as an example of echolalia. And it's bullying even without a suspected ASD and even worse as part of it. The school absolutely can stamp out low level bullying if it chooses. I switched schools for ds1 and at his second school they are absolutely hot on low level verbal bullying and it's made his school experience vastly better.

If one of the reasons behind it is anxiety then removing layers of anxiety through the school taking action is going to help. It's unfair to put it on her shoulders to "fix".

ChampagneAndCrisps Sat 29-Nov-14 16:20:50

Repeating your own words is 'pallilalia'. I think that's right spelling.

Sorry- nothing else to add

mrsbaffled Tue 02-Dec-14 16:56:35

Yes, palilalia. My son does it sometimes as a tic of part of his Tourette's. We just ignore it like we do every other tic.....talking about it makes it worse. School need to stamp out teasing about it NOW.

zzzzz Wed 03-Dec-14 00:15:35

I was going to say it sounds more like a verbal tic. Google tic disorder.

It might also be mire anxiety based, perhaps a form of OCD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now