Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fish oil for children and dyslexia/dyspraxia

(6 Posts)
WellTidy Mon 24-Nov-14 14:52:23

Has anyone given this to their dyslexic/dyspraxic child please?

DS1 is 6yo and his recent ed psych report suggests dyspraxia. DS2 is 2yo and severely verbally dyspraxic.

It was suggested to me that each of them took a good quality fish oil as a supplement. I started each of them on 15 ml (given once a day) of the liquid Enzyme 10 fish oil which is flavoured with vanilla, in their yoghurt. To my amazement, neither of them could even taste it, and I think it must be doing them good.

Have I got the dose right, and are there any side effects? I am concerned that it may upset their tummies, which would be awful for 6yo DS1 at school.

Finally, does anyone have any views on whether it works to improve brain function?

eatyourveg Mon 24-Nov-14 19:34:37

fish oil supplements were explained to me as thickening the myelin sheath on the neuron thereby making a smoother pathway for any information to get through

No idea if its true but I imagine it to be like re-surfacing a road, the car can reach its destination much more easily if its travelling on smooth tarmac than on a pot hole infested gravel track

all 3 dc were on fish oil when at school - I think it helped ds3 the most who was slightly dyspraxic when younger.

Lindy2 Mon 24-Nov-14 21:19:49

I've also heard it can be helpful for ADHD. I do give both my children a vitamin tablet with a fish oil addition each day. Its not a very large dose but hopefully it has some benefit. I don't see how it can do any harm really.

PolterGoose Mon 24-Nov-14 21:36:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Proudmumof2boys Tue 25-Nov-14 00:14:32

I give both my boys either vegepa on the recommended dose. I've run out and bought fish oils today!

DS1 has dyspraxia and a few other needs. It's difficult to know if it helps, he is 8 now and was on iq chewable a from 3 yo. His consultant recommended fish oils.

WellTidy Wed 26-Nov-14 08:50:41

Thanks for your replies. I am going to keep going with it. Apparently, you are supposed to give them 15 ml daily for 2 months and then reduce the dose. An ed psych and now speech and language therapist both suggested it for dyspraxia.

Lindy and proudmum according to them, it is crucial to get the dose right. Unless the dose is high enough, it won't have an effect. Most people give too little. I am keeping going with the 15 ml as neither DS can taste it, so its not a battle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now