Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Faith school for SEN

(7 Posts)
nancyoliver Mon 24-Nov-14 14:03:29

We're moving house soon and we are struggling to find a suitable school for our son.

Asked the new LA for help, (he has a statement) and they have suggested a few schools.

One they have suggested is a faith school.

I don't want to sound prejudiced - I believe very much in respecting everyone for their own beliefs and cultural traditions - I have nothing against any one's religion - but we don't follow any faith at home.

I am not sure about sending my son to a school where there is a very, very strong religious element (looked up their website and it is not a nominal faith school - it has a very strong faith identity, links with the local faith community and it seems to be a really important part of the school day. )

I know we need to find the right school due to his special needs but can we say no to a faith school, even if they will accept him, because we are not of this (or any) faith?

Hope I haven't offended anyone - I really have no problem with other people's religion - but it's just not for me.

PolterGoose Mon 24-Nov-14 14:11:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MeirAiaNeoAlibi Mon 24-Nov-14 15:13:47

A family not sharing the faith which a school teaches to the dc is a perfectly good reason to decline any place. That said, you might want a look first

chocismydrug Mon 24-Nov-14 16:12:00

I think this is entirely reasonable. For me it would be a dealbreaker and I have ruled out a school for the same reason.

Sunnymeg Mon 24-Nov-14 17:17:33

My DS13 recently told his teacher that RE was boring and irrelevant and he asked school to excuse him from studying it. In light of this, I would give the faith school a wide berth.

MooMummyMoo Mon 24-Nov-14 17:44:19

I don't know if the SEN element makes a difference, but I know in our area just for the general mainstream school allocations, religion is NOT a reason to appeal a placement. The reason being you can 'opt out' of the religious bits.

I completely disagree with the policy, but that is how it stands in our area and is clearly stated in their policy.

As I say, might be the SEN element makes a difference in this instance but might be worth checking their website for general info to get an idea of how they stand.

MeirAiaNeoAlibi Tue 25-Nov-14 15:47:28

A v Barnet 2003. Upper Tier appeal succeeded because decisions regarding which school to name in a Statement should take into account how well it meets educational needs related to a child's religious denomination.

Should still apply if your 'denomination' is atheist/agnostic/secular/humanist

Sorry, link won't work. It's in a pdf on sossen website. Information sheet section, "challenging a tribunal decision". Scroll down to top of page 7

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now