Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Another ABA querey- ABA consultant / supervisor - what's the difference?

(8 Posts)
MommyToMyLittleStar Sun 23-Nov-14 00:33:36

It's me again with another ABA querey?
So after Bering told by Autismpartnership there is - 1 yr waiting list to start a programme in North of England I manged to find an independent Someone who calls herself an ABA Supervisor. She says she has a Maters in ABA, experience of working with children on the spectrum , 2 yrs tutoring experience & currently has started supervising programmes. She said she is planning to take BCBA exam early next year. She said if I need a 'consultant' we apparently have to travel to Swansea to meet her contact who is a consultant- (not an option - I would rather travel to London), but apparently she has enough experience to start Early learner programmes (DS is 3)
I would rather go with an established company but as there is 1 yr wait am now thinking is it worth starting with this supervisor or should continue searching for a Board certified consultant?
Opinions please.

sammythemummy Sun 23-Nov-14 14:12:09

I've not been doing ABA as long as some of the posters here (around6-7months) so they might have a different view to me but I really think it depends on the person?

I had supervisors for both of my programmes (I changed consultants in the summer) but I later stopped using her so I only have a consultant now.

I would check her references, who she worked under and have a session to see her in action.

I however (from the experiences I had with my supervisors) would rather go with a consultant with extensive experience.

Btw, AP are expensive! Or is it just the London branch? Having said that, they do amazing work (I've seen a child change remarkably)

sammythemummy Sun 23-Nov-14 14:15:11

Also, it took a while to find a consultant immediately available (and whose prices I could realistically afford!) so whilst I was waiting I did contact a supervisor to guide me as I really didn't want to waste anymore time.

MommyToMyLittleStar Sun 23-Nov-14 15:37:52

Thanks Sammy- I would really Like to go with AP as they have the whole package- with travel expenses from london AP works just the same for us- this independent supervisor is charging more than AP supervisor hourly rate!!! Anyway as she's available only in couple of months i can continue looking.... What I might do is start with an independent & then go to AP when they become available...

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 23-Nov-14 15:44:41

The ideal is to find a BCBA (consultant) with a BCaBA (supervisor) under him/her, and then tutors under that, but must admit that I think soon and early are as crucial as qualifications: I had experienced but unqualified people for first two years and my boy did really well. I was lucky though so yes agree that taking references from other mums is the best way. A year's wait is no good at this age

MommyToMyLittleStar Sun 23-Nov-14 17:27:31

Thanks Sick- I hope we too get lucky.

salondon Mon 24-Nov-14 11:21:26

This is what we do:

Consultant - BCBA/BCaBA(I think experience matters more) - once every 3 months - i.e 4 times a year + Annual Review, Tribunal etc - 6 hours each day
Supervisor - Working towards BCBA (ours was a BCBA) and having a great working relationship with your consultant - If your team is experienced, then once every 4-6 weeks is enough. You can do Skypes in between if needed. If your team is new/parents doing themselves, then I feel once every 2 weeks for 3 hours is needed. Looking back, not using a local supervisor was a big mistake.
Lead Tutor - Similar to a supervisor/ just less experience - We have now switched to this model - If you have a good lead tutor, then you can skip the supervisor altogether. We use that model now

I don't think you need a consultant from Day1 if one isnt available. However, if your supervisor isn't comfortable working with AP, then it could be an issue.. 1 year is a long time. I would start with the supervisor if you are happy with the references.

MommyToMyLittleStar Mon 24-Nov-14 21:40:13

Thank you salondon. This is what we have decided to do. (Unless
I find someone more qualified). We have couple of months before we commit... In the interim trying strategies suggests by our private SLT... I am so irritated they don't give any individualised plan via the NHS.... The group therapy session we attend is a joke- it's just stay & play! Just because DS doesn't talk & is defiant doesn't mean he has poor understanding- his receptive language is good- but if he doesn't want to do what they tell him they show him symbols & he looks it me to explain what the symbol means!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now