Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA mums!!

(11 Posts)
sammythemummy Fri 21-Nov-14 13:12:40

My dd is not in school yet so we are running a full home programme for now.
But I'm slightly struggling with going out and being back in time for making lunch before the next tutor comes in for her session.

How are you managing your programmes??

theDudesmummy Fri 21-Nov-14 17:30:40

You probably won't want to hear this but my DH had to give up his career, for good, for this to work.

sammythemummy Fri 21-Nov-14 19:20:22

Really theDude?

I know of another family where the father gave up his job.

I've had to go back to work to afford running the programme so either of us giving up will not be possible.

Tbf we are managing alright (just about) as I work weekends or evenings so I'm around all day, however I feel sorry for dd2 as I'm not able to take her playgroups/park etc...

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 21-Nov-14 21:47:58

I didn't return to work after maternity leave with dd to help tutor (and navigate the system) for ds. We remortgaged and eventually sold our house, though tbh this was to fund our defence against continuous LA attacks more than anything. Our programme was rock bottom. A consultant when we had saved up enough to get one in, around every 8-10 weeks for £300 each time, and between 6 and 10 hours a week of a talented tutor with an MSc in ABA depending on our finances at that time. our programme stopped and started with me acting as the bridge in between.

DD just joined in with the programme or imitated. If it involved playdough for example, dd would sit at the table with her own stock.

salondon Sat 22-Nov-14 06:02:58

Sammy, just do the best you can. Don't beat yourself. I know you are working so hard already. Can you cook early morning or late at night the day before?

sammythemummy Sat 22-Nov-14 07:23:31

I need to try and cook the night before and store in the fridge I think.

Cooking in the morning is really hard as my tutor comes in at 9, before that I need to get my daughter dressed, fed and cleaned (and make myself presentable).

I really feel I should have a lot more input in the programme but there just isn't enough time to do it all!

I tried joining dd2, but at this stage all she's interested in is songs and stuffing anything in her mouth smile

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 22-Nov-14 08:15:00

I'm not saying it is easy. I suspect I have forgotten much of the difficulties too. I had some fab resources such as a hugely supportive partner who applied for extra leave at times plus some lovely helpful friends who accepted ds.

Now that I HE I find a slow cooker invaluable. I add things when I can, so start with meat usually around 11/12, add an onion at first break, add veg later whenever I get a moment. I do double quantities, serve one and freeze the other.

I do remember those years feeling frazzled, especially when I fell pregnant and had constant nausea but I learned that you just find a way through. One day/week at a time.

theDudesmummy Sat 22-Nov-14 12:17:15

It was the only way for us, but of course it's different for everyone. It makes financial sense for us (I can get more work done as DH does everything else), and also DH's career was such that he would have been out of the country for months at a time if he had carried on, which just would not work with the need for someone to be available for DS.

sammythemummy Sat 22-Nov-14 15:42:01

Frazzled is the appropriate word to describe me right now grin

Tbh it's all so so SO worth it as dd is coming along great. I just need to pul myself together more so I can supplement the programme for when the girls are not with her

theDudesmummy Sat 22-Nov-14 19:11:24

There is no doubt that it has been worth it, and still would be if the price were twice a high in terms of our life changes. DS cannot talk but to have him type hello Mummy on his device as I come through the door is worth all of it. But yes, being frazzled is also a familiar state.

sammythemummy Sun 23-Nov-14 14:23:22

That's so lovely theDude

All the money and time is worth seeing them achieve what I once thought impossible, seeing my dd standing in a circle with other children and following a dance routine was just amazing. Pre Aba she would've just walked away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: