Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Please talk to me about iep,sap, etc

(11 Posts)
Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 19:42:05

Quick lowdown,

DS is 12 and has moderate cerbral palsy and mild??learning difficulties and speech and language issues.
He started mainstream sec school in sep and he is getting 5 hours a week support, this is stopping in jan due to him not having a EHCP , the school say there is not enough evidence to apply for EHCP, the ed psch won't get involved as she assessed him 6 year ago a lot has changed.
The senco is just a stand in as the normal one is on ,maternity leave untill next May.
I spoke to senco today and she told me there is not enough evidence, I then went on to ask about iep and school action plus, which she said they don't do, I am confused a DS has always had these from being in nursery, I then went on to ask what happens come jan, will he be left to his own device and was told probably as he isn't statemented.
His recent results for core subjects are 3c.
All she told me today was that he is in the normal range for his class and the provisions made for him are he is in a smaller class of 8-10 kids.
I have been in contact with parenting partnership who are going to arrange a meeting, they also told me that the school could apply for upto £6000 for DS education, however the senco had not heard of this.
I just don't know where to turn, do I wait until proper senco comes back , what if I do and nothing is done.
Do I carry on against all of the proffesionals who are putting everything down to his salt issues, do I pay £95 an hour for private ed psch assessment, have been told the local council may not take a private report as sufficent evidence.
Please advise me, feel like I am letting my son down

fairgame Thu 20-Nov-14 20:00:15

I get very confused with the new system but this is how i understand it...
The thresholds for statements/EHCP has changed and now school are expected to fund the first 6k of support from their own budget. Anything over that then you can apply for a EHCP.
SA no longer exists but i believe IEP's are still in place so he could still have an IEP.
Hopefully i've got all that right but i'm sure someone else will be along soon to correct my mistakes blush

Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 20:09:14

They aren't likely to spend £6000 on him as they don't think there is anything major going on.

Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 20:14:15

How often should the school have reviews and ask for meetings with me? Does anyone know, he has been there for 11 weeks and the only time I have contact is when I ring them sad

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Nov-14 20:36:25

Firstly hi and welcome to the board, next stop righing them and start writing or emailing. You need to create a paper trail.

Do you think your sons needs are being met at school? If not you can apply for an EHC needs assessment yourself.

Have a look at the IPSEA website, there is loads of info on there.

Good luck flowers

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Nov-14 20:43:45

By the way, there is nothing in the code of practice about schools spending £6000! whether a child/young person needs assessing should be looked at as an individual case not by how much money a school has spent on them!!

Although this is not the message that the LA's are giving to people!

The key with LA's is to make sure you know what you are asking for and if what they say sounds dodgy, it probably is! confused

Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 21:24:15

Thing is I don't know what I'm asking for, really need advice but don't know who from.
He need possible physical support as he can't manage well in cookery or woodwork, he nearly cut his finger off the other day in cookery.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Nov-14 22:03:00

Has he ever had OT involvement?
If not I would start with that if he needs physical help, they are the people to kick start that!

Your GP should be able to refer him.

I have to go to bed now but will come back and see if I can help any more tomorrow. Keep asking specific questions on here there are some really knowledgable people on this board and you will get some help.

It sound like his primary school have let him down badly by not getting all this support in place before he moved sad

Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 22:07:17

He has had to support but now discharged, just found out that he has visual perception problems.

Icimoi Thu 20-Nov-14 23:03:54

It's correct that SAP no longer exists - it's supposed to be "SEN support". Also some schools are changing over to things like provision mapping instead of IEPs.

There aren't any rules about having meetings or reviews for children who don't have statements or EHCPs, so far as I know. But I suggest you ask for details of current assessments of his NC levels, reading age etc - secondary schools often do their own testing at the beginning of Year 7. It will be useful to compare them to what he got at the end of primary school.

Proudmumof2boys Thu 20-Nov-14 23:12:07

I would also recommend that you speak to IPSEA or SOSSEN to apply for the support yourself.

I found them (and this board) incredibly helpful last year when applying for a statement for DS1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now