Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Meeting with school tomorrow - should I lay all the cards on the table or pick my battles?

(7 Posts)
bbkl Wed 19-Nov-14 21:55:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wasuup2014 Wed 19-Nov-14 23:24:53

What diagnosis are you waiting on? Do you know why she is feeling anxious and suicidal? Have she a statement or EHCP?

Lunchtime - Do they have a small quiet room she can go in with a friend instead?

Lockers - Are there any lockers in a quieter area she can use eg prefect lockers?

If it is an ASD diagnosis you are waiting for - how would they treat another child who had social issues and difficults with some teachers who had a diagnosis and could they just go with that for now that she may have that diagnosis and support her accordingly?

Organising herself - get a copy of her timetable stick it on the fridge so you know what she is doing and can help her with her bag the night before, buy 3/4 pencil case spares with equipment, ask for a some support at school to remind get, check her equipment ect?

Important thing to focus on - why your daughter is feeling suicidal and what can the school do to help make this easier?

Just ask the school how can they help?

bbkl Thu 20-Nov-14 06:38:42

PolterGoose Thu 20-Nov-14 07:13:11

defineme Thu 20-Nov-14 07:24:12

Sorry your dd is having such a hard time.
tbh I always mention everything.
ds loses loads of stuff and doesn't do homework sometimes. It doesn't matter at all because every single teacher is aware of his needs so he never gets a detention and he is simply handed the equipment. Staff use his planner to tell me whst he needs and I write in it could they remind him to look for whstever .
I would want every teacher knowing of her fragile state of mind as a priority because they can moderate their treatment of her accordingly.
ds has the option of a quiet place for lunch and keeps his dtuff in form room rather than locker.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Nov-14 07:59:58

I agree with the others, I would tell they everything and make sure they write it down. I would also follow up with an email to reinforce what you said and to create a paper trail.

Dd3 has her equipment checked by a TA or her form tutor everyday and she and the student support centre have spares.

We have open email access to the senco. And she forwards important info around the staff as and when.

We are still struggling with a lack of awareness in some areas but I know that the SEN team are constantly working on it.

Your Dd should feel as though she is on her own, the school need to put some support in place for her, Dd3 also has a Key worker and a dinner card so she can skip the queue, which is a bit of a waste really because she cant access the dinner hall anyway because it is too crowded but hey ho. She takes a packed lunch and has found a quiet ish spot where she can eat.

Good luck with the meeting flowers

bbkl Thu 20-Nov-14 11:25:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now