Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How They Do SEN In Finland

(9 Posts)
uggerthebugger Wed 19-Nov-14 19:27:33

...a fuck of a lot better than we do, unsurprisingly.

If you don't fancy reading this excellent blog from a Finnish education researcher, this is why...

- They detect learning difficulties or behavioural problems as early as possible and then provide targeted support immediately.

- Most schools pay very particular attention to those children who need more help in becoming successful, compared to other students.

- Less repeated testing of kids, less competition between them, and no performance related pay for teachers.

But basically, it sounds like Finnish society respects people with special needs, and is willing to fund their support when they need it, where they need it, and in the quantity they need it.

WintersDayTOWIE Wed 19-Nov-14 23:39:40

It's not even rocket science but plain common sense! Sadly something we seem to be lacking in the majority of "traditional" schools in Britain.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Nov-14 08:51:08

I heard a Professor from Belguim speaking the other day about Autism!! So much further ahead the our Proffs but what us parents have been yelling for ages!!

My opinion of schools certainly in my area is bleugh hmm

frizzcat Thu 20-Nov-14 09:55:15

The Finnish just have education nailed really dont they envy

However, my impression of other parts of Europe, Spain, France, Germany and Belgium, was that they were slow to dx, but also there was a leaning towards psychoanalysis as treatment/therapy of developmental delays such as Autism.

We also have excellent Academics in this area, however it's rare that their recommendations go beyond the papers they write, I wonder if that is the same in other parts of Europe, in that they, like us have the knowledge and expertise but ultimately it's cost.

Like Winters says the Finnish approach is not rocket science but their willingness to invest.

2boysnamedR Thu 20-Nov-14 12:45:49

I get the feeling over here parents are steared towards the - get over it, nothing can be done approach.

frizzcat Thu 20-Nov-14 13:32:16

2boys I would agree with that too, expectations are rock bottom for children with developmental delays in the UK.

You get what you pay for, I'd be interested in the long term prospects of those supported children in the Finnish education system.
<<logs onto Amazon to buy some Finnish phrase books>>

meglet Thu 20-Nov-14 13:42:43

ineedmore what did the Prof say (if you can summarise!).

I'm in total despair over UK SN 'support'. Because I've been diagnosed with ASD the school and paed --who wouldn't know young female ASD if it bit her on the arse--won't accept my DD also possibly has ASD and therefore she won't get any support.

Littlemisssunshine72 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:58:43

Interesting as I am half Finnish. Obviously knew about their education system in general but often wondered about SEN support as in the past considered moving there. The thing that stopped us was the language barrier-seeing how long it took DS to express/understand this language,thought it would be a bit mean to start again.
Lovely country,food and in general people but in my experience a lot of ignorance with regard to differences I.e. colour and class to name a couple therefore wonder how accepting they are of people with disabilities.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Nov-14 17:26:50

meglet He was basically saying that they have moved on from fucussing on what the person with Asd can't do and what upsets them and are looking more carefully at what they like and what makes them happy in order to improve outcomes for people.

He was saying the traditionally people have thought that independent living is a positive outcome for a person with Asd but if they are living in a squalid appartment and only eating ping meals and not keeping clean etc How can that be a better outcome than someone who maybe lives in supported accomodation but who is healthy, happy and living a fullfilling and varied life.

It was just about challenging ideas about what improves quality of life for people with Asd should we force them to be social when they may hate it?? If so why?

It was a great day and really made me think. The Proff from belgium was called Peter Vermeulen smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now