Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

PDA and ODD

(9 Posts)
sweetteamum Tue 18-Nov-14 22:09:04

Do you think it's possible, for a child to have PDA & ODD?

So in some cases it's definitely anxiety provoking and other times it's just downright oppositional.

And how can I tell the difference. I do find it hard to read situations too, so I find all this extra difficult

zzzzz Tue 18-Nov-14 23:28:19

Are PDA and ODD not possibly a form of anxiety disorder?

Upandatem Wed 19-Nov-14 00:06:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 19-Nov-14 07:43:07

Dd3 can be both opositional and demand avoidant but it is pretty much always stress related. When she is relaxed she is compliant and when she is stressed she is not end of.

Of course this is only at home because at school she is rule bound and absolutely will not ever ever break a rule hmm

We get into negative loops sometimes where I make what I think is a reasonable demand and she flatly refuses and then because I thought it was reasonable I push and she pushes back harder.

It rarely gets the original thing done and always ends badly. I sometimes cant work out how to get her to do somthing without it seeming like a demand confused

Sorry not much help.

zzzzz Wed 19-Nov-14 08:22:30

Ineed these two sentences pretty much sum up us at the moment

When she is relaxed she is compliant and when she is stressed she is not end of.

I sometimes cant work out how to get her to do somthing without it seeming like a demand

Although mind is a he. As if that isn't stressful enough Dh likes to "discuss" if we are pandering and if it will really help in the moment. [not angry just exhausted emoticon].

Jacksterbear Wed 19-Nov-14 19:35:27

P.14 of the PDA booklet here (follow links to download) has a useful comparison between ODD and PDA.

My DS has a dx of ASD with a PDA profile (as well as s separate dx of anxiety). PDA is (generally/increasingly) recognised as part of the autism spectrum so you would not get a PDA dx without also fulfilling the diagnostic criteria for ASD. It is not in my u set standing an anxiety disorder although people with PDA present with very high levels of anxiety.

Jacksterbear Wed 19-Nov-14 19:36:10

understanding

Upandatem Wed 19-Nov-14 22:27:59

Upandatem Wed 19-Nov-14 22:31:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now