Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Giving your DC their Strattera meds (Atomoxetine)at night?

(4 Posts)
kerpob Mon 17-Nov-14 22:14:56

Hi, my DS1 aged 10 has dropped his appetite significantly since starting on Strattera. Cons Paed suggested administering meds at night to try to help with the appetite problem. I'm worried this will make him wakeful (he takes Melatonin too). Anyone any experience if this? Cons Paed feels given it's slow release over 24 hours it shouldn't impact on sleep but I'm not sure about that. TIA

kerpob Fri 21-Nov-14 21:59:42

Bump

Pasteurella Sat 22-Nov-14 18:14:29

Sorry, I haven't really tried this but my DS (also 10) has just started on Strattera and we were told that if it made him too sleepy then giving it at night would be an option and would actually help him to sleep.

We tried Medikinet XL before and he had real problems going to sleep, but so far so good with this one (about a month in).

ouryve Sat 22-Nov-14 19:07:17

Strattera isn't a stimulant like ritalin/concerta/equasym and whatever other variants of methylphenidate and IME, It's improved DS1's sleep, rather than interfered with it.

When we've been in between dose sizes, we've been through phases of adding an extra 10mg at dinner time and it's not kept him awake at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now