Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Educational Psychologist assessment

(12 Posts)
LoxleyBarrett Mon 17-Nov-14 22:04:45

We have finally decided to have DS1 & DS2 assessed by an Ed Psych following a few meetings with teachers at school (and also the head teacher of a potential secondary school for DS2).

DS1(9) is dyspraxic and his teacher suspects dyslexia - he's great at maths, reads well, but struggles to get written info down on paper. His self-esteem is at an all time ole and he seems to be a very unhappy and angry boy since starting year 5 - this seems to come out at home he is a still a dream at school apparently!

DS2(7) is a mystery to us all - struggles across the board but has moments where he exceeds expectations. We know that he has a an auditory processing disorder - his SALT has worked wonders with him and we are hoping for a Christmas discharge. He is prone to the mother of all tantrums, but can focus on his passions (in his case it's ballet).

So, my question is what to expect from the process so I can prepare them for the appointment. DS1 is not keen to go at all and is adamant he is not dyslexic. DS2 doesn't seem to bothered and is looking forward to a day off school!

Any tips from anyone that has been in the same situation would be welcome.

Thank you.

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 17-Nov-14 22:23:15

DS(then 6) went through I private ed psych assessment almost a year ago now prior to educational tribunal.

I lot of test and assessments. In DS' case a lot of look at this picture and answer a question, or find the picture with x in. but I don't know whether DS was mostly oral because his writing skills are so poor.

I was dyslexia tested 3 times growing up. From memory, and similar to, DS the tests usually involve some form of non verbal reasoning, verbal resoning and cognitive testing. I'm sure there were more but I can really remember. I think the tests I did were usually a couple of hours. DS' test lasted one very long afternoon. It was hard work but very thorough and produced fabulous evidence for the statement.

It will be a long tiring process. Might be an idea to have a reward ready for the end?

2boysnamedR Mon 17-Nov-14 22:27:19

My son has had three assessments this year. I have only said "some one is coming to see you today" and he didn't ask why.

I think he found them emotionally draining each time. I asked if he'd seen them, how it went but I couldn't ask any more. He was ok after a sleep and we didn't mention it again.

I think he found the process quite hard so maybe prepare for that and give some space after school

LoxleyBarrett Mon 17-Nov-14 22:29:00

Thank you coffee that's really useful. Can I ask if you sat in on the assessment? We have been offered assessment for the boys on the same day - one in the morning and one in the afternoon. As we are having to travel a fair distance from home - I need to work out the logistics!

LoxleyBarrett Mon 17-Nov-14 22:31:47

Thank you 2boys - I think DS2 will find it particularly difficult - he is the kind of boy that needs to be active; several hours of assessments will be hard for him.

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 17-Nov-14 22:45:12

Yes I sat in on the assessments. the LEA assessment a TA from his then school sat in on them.

obvious as it my seem, it was very important only to give DS encouragement (and in his case encouragement as he physically tires easily and spent much of the assessment on my lap) and not to give any clues as to the answer or if your child has got the wrong answer.

Second the exhaustion at the end. Them and you both!

If your DS is very active then it's good for the ed psych to see that. a good Ed psych should be looking at all their barriers to learning.

2boysnamedR Mon 17-Nov-14 22:46:35

Is it private? My private ones at school were broken up by break time. At home there was some breaks to play short games.

I sat in the begining of the one at home but was asked to leave the room after that.

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 17-Nov-14 22:47:08

can I ask/ check you are getting help with the auditory processing disorder in terms of where your DS is seated in class etc?

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 17-Nov-14 22:49:29

Just wonder whether you might benefit form talking to occupational therapist as well

LoxleyBarrett Mon 17-Nov-14 22:57:44

Thanks again - yes it is a private assessment so there won't be anyone from school there - we are going to them and paying a small fortune for it.

The SALT (again private) visits the school and a TA works with him as well. I've not asked about where he should be sat in the class - I do know that he is at the front.

DS1 saw an OT - who gave lots of excercises and then discharged him. He has low muscle tone which means he struggles with pencil grip and speed -the solution seems to be to move to a laptop as he gets older

LoxleyBarrett Sat 10-Jan-15 09:05:56

We are now less than two weeks from the assessment and I am starting to feels incredibly anxious about the assessment and the future for them both.

Has anyone else felt like this before an assessment?

Tunna Sat 10-Jan-15 10:04:39

My DS had an EP assessment in October, and will have his follow up appointment next week. This is through the school so not private, and was with regard to asd, but might help alleviate your worries.

I met with the EP before the meeting and came prepared with a 2 page list of bullet points of the areas that concerned me which included social communication, social interaction, executive skills, physical skills (penmanship, hand eye co-ordination etc) anxiety, and behaviour. I also gave them copies of OT and salt reports. I listed the strategies that we've implemented at school and at home, stating what has worked and what hasn't.

I didn't prep my DS at all as I wanted it to be a true reflection of how he copes on a day to day basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now