Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My youngest son's just been diagnosed ASD

(5 Posts)
Cazza525 Mon 17-Nov-14 19:07:48

On Friday, my 7 year old has been diagnosed with high functioning autistic spectrum disorder. I believe the old fashioned term was Aspergers (this is what the consultant told us on friday).
I would be really interested to hear other peoples experiences and what to expect now?
Many thanks

2boysnamedR Tue 18-Nov-14 10:04:07

Bumping as I don't have first hand experience of this.

I would hope that there would be some recommendations made for his school at the very least.

Is he in mainstream?

Cazza525 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:17:26

Hello yes he is mainstream. Very talented at maths. He's working at GCSE level at the age of 7. There have been recommendations put in place for more support at school as he gets very angry sometimes( kicks, punches and throws chairs around.) my head is still spinning really so I can only recall snippets of the meeting. They are sending paperwork to me outlining it all and also a copy to the school

2boysnamedR Tue 18-Nov-14 11:03:14

If your not already talking with the senco I would book to go in. He should be on the sen register for school regardless of his levels ( sounds like a great clever kid!)

You never know when you might need the senco so best she is kept in the loop.

No need to go in ASAP. Send her the report and book for a later date. Post diagnosis is a hard time, you need to let it sink in.

Your doing a great job

Cazza525 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:40:44

I have spoken to the headmistress and Senco today, both were excellent and reassured me, they've even sent home some useful books for me to borrow and read. We are all waiting for the written report to be sent through and then we'll organise a meeting in school to talk about strategies.

How long should I expect to feel dazed for? It's hit me like a brick wall!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now