Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Book recommendation about new baby for 4yr old with ASD

(3 Posts)
Buscake Mon 17-Nov-14 14:11:54

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any book recommendations for introducing a new baby to older siblings; particularly one for children with ASD. My 4 yr old was 2 when her younger sister was born, and she found the transition utterly impossible. It took at least 2 months for her to begin to calm down and accept the changes. At that time, I didn't know she had ASD, but had a few books about new babies eg 'spots baby sister', 'Zazas baby brother', 'there's a house inside my mummy', but they obviously didn't capture the reality of there suddenly being a baby living in our house.

Perhaps the answer is that there is no way to prepare her. She knows there is a baby in my tummy, and that it will come out and live in our house, but I am really dreading her reaction. Particularly after last time. However if anyone has any tried and tested ideas, I would really appreciate them smile

2boysnamedR Tue 18-Nov-14 10:10:10

Can you get a doll? Maybe sit and cuddle it and talk to it for maybe a couple of 30min periods a day? Then dd gets used to seeing you giving the doll attention? I might prompt her to ask what your doing?

That's what portage suggested to me

LuckyCharms Tue 18-Nov-14 21:45:15

We had one called "What to expect when the new baby comes home" from amazon which was good, although my DC was a bit older than yours. It's very factual which appealed to DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now