Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

im thinking of booking an appointment with the gp regarding ds4 21 months and would like some advice.

(13 Posts)
DixieNormas Mon 17-Nov-14 10:02:15

So ds4 is almost 22 months, has no words although he did say a few around 12 months but stopped soon after. Also no none verbal communication, no waving, pointing, bringing things to show you. Doesnt understand simple instructions such as fetch the car, nappy etc. Doesnt show any interest in other children.

The hv wants to wait until he turns two and my dsis (ld nurse) has said they dont like to refer before 2.

I just dont see the point in waiting another two months when I have so many concerns, not just lack of verbal communication, which is what the hv is focused on.

I thought posting here might help me write a list of concerns I have to take to the gp, im worried I might forget to mention something that coild be important. Im also worried because the surgery isnt the greatest and I dont want to be fobbed off because im not prepared iyswim

Thank you

Bilberry Mon 17-Nov-14 10:35:05

If you are talking about a referral to a developmental peadiatrician (which is what I think you should ask for) then I see no point in waiting. I also can't understand a 2-year cut off as for some children it will be obvious there are problems at only a few months old. Do as you suggest and write down all your concerns and don't be fobbed off. Also ask for referrals for a hearing test and to SALT. You may find salt doesn't see you or do anything yet as some areas have 3-year cut offs for salt which again is ridiculous. I was similarly put off by my HV but fortunately 'saw the light' and asked for a referral a few weeks later.

salondon Mon 17-Nov-14 10:40:46

These cut-offs are just their way of buying time.. Keep pushing

DixieNormas Mon 17-Nov-14 11:18:43

Im thinking developmental pead, a hearing test and salt. The hv is talking about just the hearing test and salt

2boysnamedR Mon 17-Nov-14 11:33:39

I was told no before 2. As my elder boy has complex needs I pushed and pushed, went down with dh and got refferal at 18 months! Portage if needed starts at 2 so a referral after 2 can loose you valuable time if needed. My ds could be a speech unit at 3 as portage now has a year of no progress evidence.

Easy for me to say as I had been there and done that before ( watching waiting - do nothing approach)

zzzzz Mon 17-Nov-14 12:05:18

There is no need to wait till two.

I failed stupendously at this stage. sad. Be better than me. You be bloody firm and get those assessments.

hazeyjane Mon 17-Nov-14 12:13:45

Portage (a home based therapy service) in some areas starts earlier than 2 - google your local portage service and ask, as you can self refer.

We were referred to a developmental paed at 8 months old, there is no specified time to voice concerns.

Write your list if concerns, present to the gp and say exactly as you have said here - you would like to see a developmental paed, SALT and have hearing checked.

Good Luck smile

choc0clock Mon 17-Nov-14 12:32:25

don't wait. You will linger long enough on various waiting lists.

do the M-chat ( HERE ) and print off the results and take them to the GP as well.

DixieNormas Mon 17-Nov-14 13:09:39

Thanks everyone, there's a portage not too far from use so I well look into that. I already feel like I'm failing him, I should have gone months ago really. I don't know what, if anything I should be doing to help him, other than getting a referral, which people keep just advising me to wait.

I've taken the m-chat test and he scored 15 so will print that off too thanks

choc0clock Mon 17-Nov-14 13:22:35

to help him with his communication, this book is a good starting point.

you might also want to read up about ABA (loads on here on this board).

DixieNormas Mon 17-Nov-14 15:47:34

Thanks choc, that book might help with ds3 who is 3 as well, the nursery has spoken to me today to ask my permission for the speech and language therapist to assess him when she goes in next month as they think he has some speech delay.

I've been trying to get hold of the gp surgery for the last hour to make an appointment for ds4 but haven't managed to speak to anyone yet!

Shortbutsosweet Mon 17-Nov-14 15:56:34

I have a DS aged 2 1/2. Has a marked lack of speech. I'm saw health visitor in August and she referred him for speech and language assessment. The appointment is on Wednesday.
Have had a few issues with GP no very helpful.
Be persistent!

Needingsomeadvice Tue 18-Nov-14 21:07:58

My DD caused me concern at 22 months. The HV referred her to audiology and also to a SALT. During the hearing test it was obvious to the audiologist that she was displaying many signs of autism so she referred to a paed. It was several appointments but they booked her in for an ADOS after the 2nd appointment because there was a 5 month wait.
DD had her ADOS assessment at 33 months - so 11 months after having concerns. She had an autism diagnosis. It has been the best thing for her and us. She is now doing brilliantly - I would not have imagined her being like this by 5. The interventions at an early age have definitely helped. Generally the later you leave it the slower the whole process is IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now