Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Developmental Coordination Disorder ???

(3 Posts)
TeenAndTween Sat 15-Nov-14 18:42:25

OK, so DD2 age 10 has just had this diagnosis. First percentile for motor skills.

DD1 age 15 was assessed this week, and was also told this for her too, though not yet had the report.

Is this just a fancy way of saying 'rubbish motor skills, some other random associated difficulties' ?

All the websites I've looked at seem quite waffly.

Will teachers actually know what it is anyway?

Can this 'explain' why DD2 is struggling at school, or would that be separate?

Can anyone point me at some clear information?

LIZS Sat 15-Nov-14 18:46:55

Try looking at Dyspraxia Foundation. DCD is the US definition which mainly overlaps. Yes it can explain all sorts of difficulties especially around organisation, processing speeds, handwriting, concentration, fatigue, fidgeting , social skills.

TeenAndTween Sat 15-Nov-14 18:58:13

Thank you, that seems good. Though the OT seemed to say that dyspraxia was a subset of DCD?

To be honest I'm sad but pleased we've finally got someone to recognise my DDs' difficulties. They have been with us for 7 years (adopted) and for the last 5 I have been flagging various things up around DD1 as she has found secondary organisation and work more of a struggle. I'd like things to be considered earlier for DD2 to help her get the help she needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now