Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has anyone ever asked if you think you have asd?

(11 Posts)
2boysnamedR Fri 14-Nov-14 14:29:38

I have always just though I'm a bit shy. Never had any friends at school until I started secondary. Ok I had a few but no one really liked me as a small child. I remember one girl saying I was too controlling. I was ok at secondary. A group of friends, some falling out but normal bicthy teenage girl stuff.

I'm not so shy now as I can't be in my job. I'd rather be under a rock but I like company. I get lonely without interaction. My friends and dh are mostly outgoing and bubbly - I am not! I like extroverts but I'm very far from being one.

My mum is more than just shy. She is very socially acward. To the point of being - hmmm - noticably not like other people. She's never been affectionate and has a limited conversation set.

I have always felt different but I don't think I can have asd. I think I do put myself in others shoes about their feelings. I think I understand emotions of others. So I can't be on the spectrum, I just have traits ( I do score high on the quotant - but miss the cut off by two points).

It's the first time someone's been so blunt. I didn't mind it being said at all, maybe she sees something in me that I cant

blanklook Fri 14-Nov-14 17:02:24

I don't think I can have asd. I think I do put myself in others shoes about their feelings. I think I understand emotions of others. So I can't be on the spectrum

That anyone on the spectrum cannot show empathy is outdated thinking, have you seen the support thread for women on the spectrum? It takes some time to load but it may be interesting for you to read other peoples' experiences, both dx and not.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs_recommendations/a1987301-Support-thread-for-women-who-suspect-or-know-they-have-ASD-traits-or-are-on-the-spectrum?msgid=50346930

2boysnamedR Fri 14-Nov-14 19:24:38

Thanks I will have a read. I keep thinking I know what asd is, but I don't really. I watched horizons understanding autisum which I recorded and that got me even more confused! The more I think about it, the less I understand my ds as well.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 14-Nov-14 20:16:34

Yep a few people! After the conference I have been on today I am thinking so too, more and more!

There is a thread for women who have or think they may have Asd on the SN chat page.

Good luck flowers

2boysnamedR Fri 14-Nov-14 21:05:19

Oh dear I tick a few boxes there. Still don't think I really care if I am - should i?

Ineedmorepatience Fri 14-Nov-14 21:21:52

Its up to you whether you care or not 2boys smile

2boysnamedR Fri 14-Nov-14 21:58:25

I think it might answer some questions but I'm too set in my ways to change too much. I often force myself out of my comfort zone and it does over time make that zone bigger.

I just don't think I can cope right now with any more sn - especially if there mine! I do want a formal dyslexia assessment after all these years, but that's only to get help with any more tribunal paperwork!

More things to mull over me thinks...

Ineedmorepatience Fri 14-Nov-14 22:06:56

Good idea about the dyslexia assessment! That would be a good place to start smile

I am preparing for tribunal number 2 at the moment and it is really hard. I dont find it hard to type stuff out of my head to tell our story as it were but I have terrible difficulties in book learning have no formal qualifications.
School was a disaster for me but I have always worked so hey ho!

zzzzz Fri 14-Nov-14 22:48:49

The thing is, that if you subscribe to the view that ASD is genetic then the likelihood is you were raised by or with someone with ASD. How much is learnt behaviour? How much is genetic? Who can tell?

For myself I don't have ASD. I am quite sure of that. OCD and anxiety? A smidge, but not debilitating.

2boysnamedR Sat 15-Nov-14 00:02:27

Hmmm- Im defiantly a bit weird because of my mums influence. I do find myself slipping into her role - more so when I am tierd. Don't want my kids to be like that! But I think I'm more compassionate than she ever was.

Dyslexia has impacted on my life a lot but I have managed to hide it at work. I read my work an see that I miss chunks out - mind works faster than the hand :0)

I will ask my friends what they think. Dh says he doesn't think I am. But I'm not sure....

Tambaboy Sat 15-Nov-14 17:31:18

Yeah, my DH and my ex partner both believe I have AS but I don't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now