Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statemented son's lsw on long term sick, but no cover

(7 Posts)
Notsuretoday Wed 12-Nov-14 16:41:57

Instead the general teaching assistants are going to cover apparently - when I asked who was going to do their work the school said it would be fine - are they allowed to do this?

starfishmummy Wed 12-Nov-14 17:05:48

If the statement says he needs lsw for x amount of time and the general ta provides this then they probably can. Who is doing the ta's other work is not really your business.

ohnoalfie Wed 12-Nov-14 17:52:51

Is an lsw an Lsa? I assume it is? What does your sons statement actually say about his support. If it says xx hours one to one or small group support or such like, I would email the school and confirm the ta will be carrying out the lsa role as per the statement and remind them of what the statement says and you expect your son to have continuity and the support he is entitled to.

choc0clock Wed 12-Nov-14 18:12:46

also, does the statement stipulate certain qualifications that the Lsa must have, then also double check that the new Lsa has them.

Notsuretoday Wed 12-Nov-14 22:29:24

Thanks for the advice

Icimoi Wed 12-Nov-14 23:37:29

Also, find out what they're doing about the lsw's other work. It'so all very well saying that they will cover your son's needs, but if the other children are used to asking her for help, they're not going to stop, especially if there's no-one else to ask. If the teacher needs an adult to take charge while she's out of the room, that lsw is going to be the person she asks because there won't be anyone else.

billiejeanbob Thu 13-Nov-14 09:46:04

How is the statement worded?
dd's specifically states that she must have 1:1 from her own designated TA. The judge at tribunal still had to spell out to the LA that this could not be the class TA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now