Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What would you do?

(6 Posts)
mumgoingcrazy Wed 12-Nov-14 16:02:15

It's been a while since I posted, but hope someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Dd2 (asd, dyspraxia, mild LD age 7), has 32.5 hours of 1:1. The statement is tight and it says she will "receive" the hours. dd2 tells me her TA also looks after another child who I know is quite challenging behaviourally, I've also had my suspicions for a while as there have been a couple of toilet instances where dd2 has been found by dd1 or dd1's friends and she had needed help.

I have asked in her link book whether dd2 is receiving all her 1:1 hours or whether she is sharing her TA and they have said she has her 1:1 in all lessons. Knowing that this isn't true, what can I do? Thanks in advance

salondon Fri 14-Nov-14 08:42:16

If the child herself is telling you, then it should be 'safe' to question the school I would say?

Our aba tutors are expected to mind other kids along side working with our daughter sometimes sad

zzzzz Fri 14-Nov-14 09:36:38

Ask for a meeting and say you have heard this and are concerned.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 14-Nov-14 10:26:27

Ask for something on her IEP that requires the TA to do something every 10 mins or so, and record/rate the behaviour.

Also, you can write a letter saying that it appears from feedback that your child is not receiving all of the 32 hours exclusively for her and can the school reassure you that she is and that the TA allocated to her is not being asked to meet the needs of any other children on a regular basis.

The answer that she has her 1:1 in all lessons can mean simply that the 1:1 is there IN all of her lessons, not that the TA is anywhere near her.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 14-Nov-14 10:29:11

You can elaborate on your concerns and explain that at your child';s annual review her progress will be assumed to have bee made on the basis of 32 hours exclusively for her. If she isn't receiving all of her time, the evidence will be skewed to imply that she isn't as capable as she would be if she WAS receiving all of her time.

And also, if she is supporting another child, that child's report will show independent progress that wasn't independent, and therefore fail them too.

That kind of detail may make them uncomfortable enough to ensure things are done properly.

mumgoingcrazy Fri 28-Nov-14 11:15:46

Thanks all, sorry it's taken so long to reply.

There have been a couple more incidents since I wrote this post so yesterday I did email the head of sn, and she met me this morning for a meeting.

They are incredibly short of supply TA's (which I do know as they have been advertising since September), but did say the other child is actually quite independent now so it's more DD2's TA just keeping an eye on him rather than right by him. I do understand this, but I also know this child well (and his mum), and he does have behavioural issues, and cannot imagine he just gets on with it all, I know he'll need a lot of guidance.

She has reassured me and apologised, I can see her predicament but I now feel happier because she knows I'm on the case and hope they won't just think 'oh just put him with dd2's TA, she'll be fine'. She does tell me!

Thanks again for your replies and sorry for the delay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now