Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Removal from the SEN register

(7 Posts)
Eastyone Tue 11-Nov-14 12:29:05

My daughter's school have taken her off the register - They have just sent an email and there was no discussion. She is in year 10 and broadly speaking her predicted GCSE grades are B's.

The reason she was on SAP was to do with slow processing speeds
WISC IV at age 13 put her on the 14th %ile (full scale result)

She now has to have surgery which may well lead to her losing her hearing in one ear as well as having to catch up on lessons missed. Can someone tell me what the process / forms the school would have to fill in ( I have asked them for details and they've just sent the school report!) and where I stand if she starts to struggle.

Thanks for listening

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 11-Nov-14 15:54:28

What benefit did being on a register bring her?

Eastyone Tue 11-Nov-14 16:38:18

She had a keyworker who met with her three times a week as her handwriting was / still is very poor. Her school diary was updated as homework wasn't being written down properly with no dates or resources.

She joined in communication groups each year and had access to the SEN 'club' where she could go for help if she had any problems.

It has always been really difficult for her revise as what she writes in her books is often illegible or sometimes it's just answers as she hasn't written any questions out.

I could also get in touch with to school easily to sort out any problems.

Icimoi Tue 11-Nov-14 23:02:47

The school wouldn't have had to follow any defined procedures apart, maybe, from their own internal procedures. I suggest you ask for a meeting with the SENCO to talk about your concerns. You may find that they're keener on providing support with the surgery coming up, not least because otherwise she may dent their statistics when it comes to GCSEs.

Eastyone Wed 12-Nov-14 11:00:48

Thanks - Senco is not interested even told the Ed Psych my daughter didn't have any problems. She just doesn't listen to parents I guess I should write to the Head.
I have complained before about the schools lack of communication with parents if they had asked me I would have said that support could be eased off but certainly not just dropped!

Lifeisfun91 Wed 12-Nov-14 15:02:00

Hi, I would write in asking them to provide evidence that she no longer requires to be on the SEN register and evidence that she no longer requires the support that she has been provided with up to now. Also I would request them to reply within a certain time and suggest a meeting to discuss their findings.

2boysnamedR Wed 12-Nov-14 15:45:19

I would also what their desision process was with removing her. The school could just have decided to do a 25% cull for example. If so then might not have a good enough reason for dropping her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now