Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fed up of the sn magnifying glass

(7 Posts)
Hedgyhoggy Mon 10-Nov-14 16:53:00

I've got a couple of busy weeks with lots of appointment for my 5 yr old ds with Ld, it's day 1 and my head is already like mush and I'm feeling down. I'm really glad he gets the help that he gets so I'm being a bit of an hypocrite but the constant analysis and the insinuation (direct or indirect/conscious or unconscious) that it's something to do with your parenting is very annoying. Salt went well he is coming on but all the praise and recognition is directed completely at the teaching assistant (maybe I sound a bit of a brat) Just came off the phone from school nurse who I'd rung because we are struggling with nappies not having capacity for his nighttime wee and without having met me or my son she says 'there is no reason why he can't be toilet trained' and kept going on about how you can't get nappies given to you unless your child has a specific medical condition. Just made me think that she'd assumed I hadn't tried or was out for a freebie. Now she might have in fact just been being positive and telling me that don't worry he will be toilet trained. Lovely, lovely camhs lady going to see him at school tomorrow, but again I've told her that they don't have too many issues at school other than his poor attention span...so I start doubting myself...asking myself whether I am making a fuss. Also, living with ds I think I'm sometimes a little blinkered to his delays, and he is doing so well feel horrible when I have to talk about the things he cannot do. I know that there is no real answer to this, just in need of a whinge. If you've made it this far, thanks x

PolterGoose Mon 10-Nov-14 18:13:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

statementtotheedge Mon 10-Nov-14 23:23:45

Sending hugs xxx

I dread all appts and parents evening too.

zzzzz Tue 11-Nov-14 00:22:22

God it's dreadful isn't it?

Hang in there. brew

MeirAiaNeoAlibi Tue 11-Nov-14 06:58:08

Sometimes I wonder where these parents making up/ exaggerating their kids problems actually are. Mars maybe. Or in DailyMailLand.

Cos I've been around a LONG time; worked in health/education/social care for nearly 25y now, as well as doing all the parenting stuff a lot locally, then knowing my own dc had SEN and starting on the support groups, clinics, courses etc... And I've yet to meet one of these mythical families who prefer (say) to scrounge free State nappies over just toilet-training.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 11-Nov-14 07:48:38

Well said meir!

Hang in there hedgy flowers cake

Ohmygrood Tue 11-Nov-14 08:23:15

Hang on - she knows nothing about your ds but she's making conclusions about his toilet training? That's ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now