Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd keeps sniffing, tick?

(11 Posts)
marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 17:55:31

It's driving me nuts and she's doing it almost continuously ( sniff sniff sniff ), if I tell her to stop she does it even more sad. Do I just ride it out or is there anything I can do to stop her doing it?

People are giving us odd looks as they think she's sniffing them.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Nov-14 18:26:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sun 09-Nov-14 19:08:12

Ds had a sniff-grunt thing for ages. It was dreadful and got him in to trouble at school sad. It comes back now when he is upset. Intriguingly it seems to come back for a particular form of upset (when he has purposely done something naughty and is crying with remorse). It's like remorse/guilt has become a sound! shock

Ignore it. Hot or cold drinks can sort of jolt it out of the response options, but don't mention it just give her a really cold drink, or a hot milk and see if it works.

marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:29:11

Things have been a bit different at school ( her teacher is off sick so routine is messed up ) so this could have caused it, she's also doing a odd throat noise which sounds like a cat being sick sad, she's been extra flappy and unable to sit still but seems happy in herself, she seems to have taken a leap forward with her speech and communication but gone backwards with the sensory issues.

zzzzz Sun 09-Nov-14 19:34:44

It will pass marne. Just ride it out. I try to think of it like a break out of spots or something. Just ignore ignore ignore.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Nov-14 19:43:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 20:10:36

I hope it soon passes, she has had quite a few tics but this seems to be the worst and the most constant sad.

2boysnamedR Mon 10-Nov-14 00:54:30

My ds had a sniff tic, I haven't seen him do it for ages thinking about it. I ignored it too. It's harder when it comes with a sound. Ds has started to do this half gag thing now, it comes and goes. I hope that one stops quicker than the sniff one. He was doing it continuously for a few years. Mental note to self to watch him tomorrow to see if it really has gone :0/

On the plus side he's started to twiddle fabrics with his hands. I think that's the new clothes chewing. Strange it all becomes so normal I don't notice these things anymore.

He did do it more when tired and sitting down.

marne2 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:39:57

It's strange, since the sniffing tic has started she's not chewing as much ( she has a chewy tube at school and home but she's hardly touched it ), her teacher is back today so hopefully some of the odd behaviours will disappear.

zzzzz Mon 10-Nov-14 11:58:05

I'm sorry I can't remember how verbal she is. Don't rule out sore teeth/sinus infection.

marne2 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:43:59

She's quite verbal but only on her terms and mainly talking to her self, struggles with conversation with other but this has started improving ( starting to say things like ' look mummy' and asking me questions to start conversation ). She's 8.5 and things are starting to get harder at school for her, although she keeps up with the work she is struggling with the social side of things and sensory, starting to think we are coming to the end of her being in ms school sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now