Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Long term effects glue ear - preschool child?

(24 Posts)
Messygirl Sat 08-Nov-14 20:33:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 08-Nov-14 20:42:01

Firstly I would be asking the preschool what they are doing to support your Ds!

They could be using visual, timelines or makaton to start with.

They should be checking that he understands what is happening. How can he follow routines unless they teach him and support him while he is learning them?

I would make an appointment with the senco firstly and find out how they are going to help and then ask them to get the area senco in to support them to support him.
The area senco should be able to get the NHS salt into preschool as well to help them.

Hope that helps for starters. Also keep coming on here for advice.

choc0clock Sat 08-Nov-14 20:50:16

Glue ear can be a red herring. Was at least in our case and it only got really looked into once the glue ear had resolved but other problems persisted. DD has been dx with autism since.

Not sggesting this is the case with your DS but if you have concerns (and nursery too) it might be worth pushing for a referral to a developmental paed to get another opinion.

sometimes it is all too easy and convenient to blame it all on glue ear iyswim

Messygirl Sat 08-Nov-14 20:54:29

Messygirl Sat 08-Nov-14 20:58:30

Messygirl Sat 08-Nov-14 21:00:36

AlmaMartyr Sat 08-Nov-14 21:07:46

DS had severe glue ear, had bilateral grommets put in this January and can currently hear. He's 4 and a half atm and has just started Reception. We found it very difficult in the nursery, he still finds loud noises or lots of background noise a bit frightening and I don't think he felt safe in the nursery. He is still often in a world of his own although this is slowly improving. Sadly, he was badly bullied at nursery too so that didn't help. We've seen ed psych, developmental paeds and had various assessments done and they have all said repeatedly that there's no sign of ASD but he's completely what you'd expect with glue ear and should keep improving (he is speech delayed too which is gradually getting better).

I had severe undiagnosed glue ear too and was very similar as a child. My brother and nephew have also had it, so has MIL and we've all had the same experiences. World of our own, bit introverted, quiet. We're all fine now though, and I do notice definite improvement with DS, especially now he's in a setting where he feels more comfortable.

choc0clock Sat 08-Nov-14 21:11:20

You seem to be concerned - my advice is always to follpw your gut. A SALT is Salt, not a dev paed. But if you have concerns about his development beyond his speech/language then I would push for a referral.

You haven't really anything to loose by going down that route.

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 08-Nov-14 21:19:33

DS1 had speech problems as a result of chronic, undiagnosed glue ear as a toddler. Because he was our first child, we didn't realise that his speech development was outside the normal range. I had learned to understand everything he said, but when he started school it became apparent that no one else could, including his teacher. He was referred to SALT, and had hearing tests which were normal, as the glue ear had resolved itself by then.

By the time he was in Y2, there was no discernable difference in his speech and that of his peers. He went on to have parts in all his junior school plays, win debating competitions and is currently studying for 11 GCSEs. He wants to be a teacher, a classicist or a historian.

He is one of the most able and articulate children in his year, so if there is any long-term consequence of the glue ear or speech problems, we haven't seen it yet.

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 08-Nov-14 21:24:40

All of the concerns you mention could be down to a boy who is just a bit 'young for his age' and taking a bit longer to develop the maturity needed for the structure of pre-school. It sounds as though you are already doing the right things to support him. If the gap between him and his peers seems yo start widening, I would ask for a paeds referral for assessment

Messygirl Sat 08-Nov-14 22:05:43

uggerthebugger Sun 09-Nov-14 08:07:55

Hi madrigals, I've got two DSs with permanent profound deafness, and a 7yo godson who had persistent glue ear until he was about 6.

The glue ear definitely delayed my godson's language. Grommets made little difference, and definitely made it harder for him to integrate at nursery and in reception - but once the glue ear had resolved itself, he caught up pretty rapidly. You certainly wouldn't guess now at the age of 7 that he had a language delay at the age of 4. He's popular, articulate, and can argue the hind legs off a donkey...

Just so I'm clear - has the glue ear resolved itself, or is it still there?

I've been a very happy customer of the Ear Foundation for many years - their assessments have helped my DSs massively. They also run pre-school groups on a Saturday morning if you want to see what they're all about before committing money to an assessment. The Ear Foundation have an educational psychologist who can assess your

Your private SALT sounds good - if you're closing the gap with glue ear actively present, you are all doing damn well.

On the other hand, your pre-school sounds like a pile of shit. Are they part of a school that is either Ofsted outstanding, or aiming hard for outstanding?

Supporting kids with delays in expressive and receptive English language is part of a normal day's work for a good pre-school setting. Glue ear is a very, very common problem for kids this age - and the pre-school will probably have kids from a language-poor background, and also kids where English is not spoken in the home.

You are perfectly within your rights to ask for detail on what they are doing - it's not interfering, you simply want to maintain consistency of approach in the home and school environment. If they won't give you this detail, then it's time to find another placement. It would also be time to inform Ofsted of the reasons for your move.

From here, it sounds like you are doing everything humanly possible to help your DS. Things can (and will!) get better....

thanks

Messygirl Sun 09-Nov-14 15:38:34

Messygirl Sun 09-Nov-14 15:39:47

Messygirl Sun 09-Nov-14 15:46:04

choc0clock Sun 09-Nov-14 16:44:47

Might be useful to pursue e referral now if you think might be needed later. The waiting lists tend to be very long (5 or 6 month in our case). You can always cancel I suppose.also keep in mind that he starts school.in 10 months. If anything else is going on I would want to get the ball rolling iyswim.

choc0clock Sun 09-Nov-14 16:48:24

Might be also worth changing nurseries if thst is possible. I had to take out Dd of a totally useless private nursery which even refused to acknowledge that Dd needed more help (never mind giving extra support) to a council.run nursery with the most brilliabt Senco. They got a lot of referrals in place for us and even applied for a statement and gave
Dd 1:1 support straight away.

Messygirl Sun 09-Nov-14 19:23:21

Messygirl Sun 09-Nov-14 19:23:58

AlmaMartyr Sun 09-Nov-14 20:02:09

Madrigals- glad things are feeling less bad today smile It is very tough, I've found the last couple of years a real rollercoaster. We found a bit that it was hard to get people to take glue ear seriously- we'd be told that lots of children have it. Well, yes, it is very common but it varies in severity. Hope things improve for you- the other potential preschool sounds lovely.

Messygirl Tue 11-Nov-14 23:39:50

Messygirl Sat 22-Nov-14 22:17:02

Messygirl Sat 22-Nov-14 22:23:27

Messygirl Fri 28-Nov-14 19:55:39

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now