Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Choking while eating (ASD/global delay/hypermobility)

(4 Posts)
WireCat Sat 08-Nov-14 09:31:47

My son has the conditions in he thread title.

He's 5.

Recently he's been choking and coughing while eating. Not all the time. Last night he was eating some bread (he eats a slice every night, we could set the clock for when he goes to the bread bag and grabs a slice!) Last night he did the chocking /coughing thing. But he also threw up. He isn't ill. He was absolutely fine afterwards.

I'm just wondering if this is anything to be concerned about?

blanklook Sat 08-Nov-14 17:05:44

I would definitely investigate. See your GP for referral. I know speech therapists do swallowing and gag reflex studies and interventions for the elderly, but the GP should know who to refer you to if it's not them. It could be as simple the way he's breathing whilst eating, or his posture.
Is he sat up at the table and not speaking whilst eating, or slumped on the sofa, chatting and eating? Try and observe his position when the choking happens but do start the investigations asap.

reader108 Sat 08-Nov-14 21:01:47

My ds dx with Aspergers ? ADHD. Has choked around 10 times VERY badly his need to do everything at speed, lack of concentration, sensory issues all don't help. He frequently over fills his mouth use a yellow card, red card system which has helped. He has said a couple of times 'I think it's empty now' like he simply doesn't know!

tacal Sun 09-Nov-14 09:59:08

My ds has autism and has a history of gagging, choking and vomiting when eating.

A speech and language therapist assessed him and said she could not see any physical problem.

He has some sensory issues. An occupational therapist gave me some oral exercises to do on ds everyday and these seem to be helping a bit, though I did see him gag the other day when eating cucumber.

I think it is a sensory issue with my ds and also not chewing enough, eating too fast, just generally not having good eating skills.

I worry about ds choking so his school and any clubs he go to know not to give him any food unless they discuss it with me first.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: