Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD

(5 Posts)
Wozald1989 Fri 07-Nov-14 14:02:07

Hey I've posted a few times now about my lo and I had a meeting at school a few days ago, the school nurse said she suspects ADHD but her teacher says no, who is more qualified with these things?

PolterGoose Fri 07-Nov-14 14:46:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

surfinDog Fri 07-Nov-14 18:25:14

Hate to be stereotypical - but too many teachers think ADHD = a 'naughty' boy who calls out and who can't sit still.

Too many teachers still see ADHD as naughty child syndrome and believe it is just a result of indulgent parents who can't discipline their children. (Give them to me and i'll stop all this...)

Many do not consider it to be a proper diagnosis and also will not consider the dreamy, inattentive girl to also have ADHD.

ADHD is a medical diagnosis and needs to be assessed as such . Yes the teachers view / observations on how they present in class are relevant to CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS the clinical assessment - but they are NOT QUALIFIED to offer a diagnosis!!!

As PolterGoose said - you need to see GP to be referred to Child Development Team / CAMHS for full assessment. THEY are the one's who can diagnose this MEDICAL CONDITION.

The fact the school nurse suspects ADHD strengthens your case for referral - but I would pay little attention to a teacher's opinion.

sorry - hope I haven't offended anyone - I know there are some BRILLIANT teachers who do understand ADHD - but there are so many who unfortunately don't. (sad)

OddFodd Fri 07-Nov-14 18:30:48

What Polter said. Ask your GP for a referral. School nurses and teachers cannot make a diagnosis (FWIW my DS's teacher told me he was 'on the spectrum' ie ASD and then another 'professional' recommended I had him assessed for ADHD. DS has neither - he has dyspraxia and sensory processing disorder).

Wozald1989 Fri 07-Nov-14 22:49:42

Thanks for all the advice guys :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now