Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Surely big schools should have a SENCO?

(11 Posts)
constantlyconfused Fri 07-Nov-14 12:01:15

I have just discovered the SENCO or so she says is a TA with no SENCO experience . She has told me for the last two years shes the SENCO her job title is inclusion officer. I wouldn't care less if she was efficient but she is not any use what so ever. Surely in a school for 1400 there should be a SENCO?

PolterGoose Fri 07-Nov-14 12:21:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 07-Nov-14 16:05:47

Yep what polter said!

BackforGood Fri 07-Nov-14 16:10:30

What Polter said.
If they'd been a SENCo already before the need to compulsory Masters course came in, they didn't have to do it, but that doesn't apply in this case.
I have known smaller Primaries where the SENCo is officially the HT or Deputy or a member of SMT who has a FT teaching responsibility, and they've then used a HLTA to do a lot of the day-to-day work and paperwork, but that's only ever been with exceptional TAs.

constantlyconfused Fri 07-Nov-14 18:14:21

Ok thanks guys Now I need to decide how to proceed .

OohOod Fri 07-Nov-14 18:30:42

Inclusion officer here would be different to SENCO

Sameshitdifferentusername Fri 07-Nov-14 19:08:26

Our school has both an inclusion officer and a SENCO. They're different roles in my experience.

Mollyweasley Fri 07-Nov-14 19:13:46

Is this lady the official Senco? Agree with Polter. Senco has to be a qualified teacher. you might find that there is a "hidden" senco somewhere (one of the teachers or HT) and that the inclusion officer is doing her work! I would ask the governors.

constantlyconfused Fri 07-Nov-14 19:49:54

I am livid and worn out why when you have a child with SEN do you need to fight the whole time. Why can't they just be accepted and treated in a fair way as opposed to a complete drain on time and patience for staff.
Sorry its been a shit of a month!

Mollyweasley Sat 08-Nov-14 09:34:16

I know it is outrageous how some teachers just don't get it. I think if these people were to get some personal experience of sen, they attitude would change drastically. There are some good people out there doing a great job though and it is so comforting when we come across them. I wish they could bottle it up and share it with the others! Look after yourself.

constantlyconfused Sat 08-Nov-14 11:04:05

They expect DD to be polite/compliant when they speak to her like scum of the earth and make it clear she is a massive inconvenience to them all .I am at my wits end but no local schools with space in a selective area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now