Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Concerns about dd2

(3 Posts)
dancestomyowntune Wed 05-Nov-14 07:10:38

Dd2 is five, in year 1 of primary school. Last night was parents evening. Six months ago we raised concerns over dds writing as she mirror writes 90% of the time. At that time the teacher said it wasn't unusual but if she was still doing it by the end of the summer she would get her referred.

Fast forward to last night. We looked in her books and the first thing I notice is that dd is STILL mirror writing and struggling with letter formation. She has the same teacher, who also expressed concern but said she is improving. A lot of her written work looks like hyroglifics! Teacher said there are some markers that indicate dd may have an underlying problem but she is not qualified to make the necessary assessments. She also said that at the moment dd isn't really writing enough to make judgement. She said we will assess it again at Christmas.

Now, this is all very well, but dd is obviously struggling and we were told she would be referred in the summer which has now been put back to Christmas. Dd, meanwhile, is struggling to copy the date off the board, is frustrated because she knows she isn't getting it 'right' and is going to be slipping further and further back.

Even her teacher said that in her own family she has a child who wasn't diagnosed as dyslexic until secondary school, even though dyslexia is a prolific problem throughout the family! I do not want this to drag on and if she needs additional assistance I want this to be sorted sooner rather than later.

We also have dyslexia in the family. My mother had to fight for years for my brother to get the help he needed and I am pretty sure my husband was never statemented or got the help that would have made a huge difference to his achievements in school. His English skills are still very poor and I am not about to sit back and let my bright, but struggling dd be left to struggle.

So I guess, after that long ramble, my question is, what can I do to help her? Or to speed things up?

Ineedmorepatience Wed 05-Nov-14 07:47:57

Unfortunately your story is the same a many others. In my experience the school will continue to fob you off and will repeatedly attempt standard strategies to teach your Dd.

Is there anyway you can afford to pay for an independent educational psychologist assessment?

In many local authorities it is the only way to find out what the problems are.

Good luck and keep coming on here for support flowers

dancestomyowntune Wed 05-Nov-14 09:24:05

If I am fobbed off again at Christmas then I will definitely look into going for private assessments. My concern is that because she isn't a problem at school (not disruptive/noisy/naughty) that they won't see it as a "problem" as such.

My mother really fought to get my brother statemented and receiving the help he needed, but she had the full support of the headmaster at my brothers school. And even then it was a big fight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now