Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Baby Developments

(7 Posts)
sammythemummy Tue 04-Nov-14 10:49:49

Hi,

I'm driving myself mad with constantly checking up in my dd2's development. She turned 1 a few days ago and so far she's doing well- until I check the internet and I see that other 12 month olds are already saying words, understanding instructions (get the blue ball, get your shoes).

Dd2 has no words but babbles and screams out when she wants something, she knows her name and understands "come here", she follows pointing and sometimes points herself. She is a really good mimick, has been copying from 5 months, copies gestures and sometimes sounds. She waves when you say bye bye and hello. At times when you say hello she puts her hand on her ear as if it's a phone. She loves using my phone and pretends to talk on it.

Obviously because of dd1 dx, I will always be on edge, but is there anything else I should be doing with her?

Stupid question but do I need to be teaching her words or expect her to pick it up?

autumnsmum Tue 04-Nov-14 12:11:53

Tbh following a two part instruction sounds way too advanced for a 12 month old , she sounds like she's doing greatsmile

zzzzz Tue 04-Nov-14 13:00:19

Normally developing children develop language spontaneously. Keep being a lovely kind Mum. Play with her and try to relax. (I know ridiculous of course you can't relax! I was EXACTLY the same with my youngest.)

sammythemummy Fri 07-Nov-14 07:27:58

Thank you both.

I've no idea how I'm going to go through the next year without stressing over every little thing.

Do they babble all the time at 12 months? She seems to only say dada mama when she's fed and in her chair but around the house she's just on a mission to either kill herself (my crawling up the stairs or diving over the sofa) or emptying the drawers/toy box/cupboards but no babbling then.

zzzzz Fri 07-Nov-14 08:52:39

Yes lots and lots of babbling from my other 4 and from much earlier (6mnths?? Can't remember it was a long time ago.)

sammythemummy Fri 07-Nov-14 17:05:29

Yes she babbled from early, 5monthish but it's not constantly babbling :/

But in contrast dd1 babbled all the time. We'll see

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Nov-14 23:38:12

I will be watching my newborn like a hawk. It's something that you just can't help dissecting everything they do. People tell you not to, but those people don't know what this feels like.

Just remember to enjoy her as well. What ever happens just take some time to enjoy her just in the moment, I don't do that enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now