Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Too big for regular car seats... What next?

(8 Posts)
Coffeeinapapercup Mon 03-Nov-14 20:50:41

DS(7) has a bundle of difficulties including poor core muscle strength, fatigues and general dyspraxia type symptoms. when he's tired or asleep he tends to be a floppy. He is getting too big for his regular car seat but definitely needs more support than just a regular seat and I worry about him being in an accident

So I'm not sure what next. Who do I need to talk to and what do I need to get. Any advice very much appreciated

thanks

Louisajane27 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:00:52

Do you get physio or ot support? They should be able to recommend a car seat or a company who can provide one. In our area ot can't provide the car seats directly so we have to pay, which can be very expensive but there are charity's such as family fund who can help with the costs.

PolterGoose Mon 03-Nov-14 21:05:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 03-Nov-14 21:49:46

just a straight HHB like this.

DS is size wise up on something like the 95% for height and weight and is clearing the 130cm mark. He looks big in it; the shoulder rests are nearly resting on his shoulders and I can't get the head rest to go up any further.

He does get both physio and OT support as part of a school support package. I hadn't thought of talking to them blush that might be a good place to start

PolterGoose Mon 03-Nov-14 22:16:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoMarymary Tue 04-Nov-14 09:43:42

Would a real SN car seat be better. We have a carrot which goes up to the age of around 12. It was funded by a charity though and cost around £2K shock

Coffeeinapapercup Thu 06-Nov-14 12:42:30

wow! might be I'm not sure tbh

PandasRock Fri 07-Nov-14 20:39:37

Dd1 is 10, and not small. She's around 140cm, and we still have her in a hbb for similar reasons.

She is currently in a Britax Adventure (as that is what will fit in my car - need 3 car seats across) and it's a little snug, but ok for now. A kid fix is definitely bigger - she was in one of those before, and the maxi cosi equivalent (I should know, dd2 has one - Rodi, maybe?) is also quite roomy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now