Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Tribunal - Independent reports

(11 Posts)
Bowwowchikkawowwow Sun 02-Nov-14 21:21:19

I have until the end of the month to appeal ds statement, which I fully intend to.

I havent yet had independent reports done, as I thought from reading mn that if I had them done to early they would be out of date.

When I am completing the tribunal paperwork it is asking for all reports. Is it normal/acceptable to forward reports in due course, obviously not just before the tribunal date.

beautifulgirls Sun 02-Nov-14 21:35:26

Yes, just appeal based on what you have now and then send in more evidence as you get it. Try and get the reports as close as poss to the last evidence deadline, but you will need to get the professionals booked now for them most likely. You will need to send copies on to the LA as well as tribunal.

2boysnamedR Sun 02-Nov-14 22:56:28

If your looking for a ep I would secure one ASAP as the good ones get booked up - some many months in advance

Bowwowchikkawowwow Sun 02-Nov-14 23:12:01

Having a panic now, that I havent already booked my professionals.

Since posting I have booked someone who does behavioural assessments, just need to sort the others out tomorrow.

Do you have any idea of the turnaround from submitting paperwork to tribunal date?

bjkmummy Sun 02-Nov-14 23:39:40

its about 5 months bowwow - I lodged mine I think mid august and hearing is mid January so you have time - all reports need to be in 4 weeks before that so it gives you 4 months - but get them booked - I contacted a few EP and they were booked up - took me 3 tries to get one who was available. so you could be looking now at end of march/beginning of april

salondon Tue 04-Nov-14 16:25:51

Yes that is what we did.. Appealed and started getting the reports and slots in... We appealed the minute the statement was finalised :D

2boysnamedR Tue 04-Nov-14 17:00:36

I think the ep reports are valid for a year?

Also if your school ep has assessed in the last 12 months you will need to find a ep who do a different battery of tests

bjkmummy Tue 04-Nov-14 17:57:57

I guess EP reports are valid for a year as the WIAT and WISC cant be done within a year - we have had to wait for the year to pass so my indie EP coming next week - seems like ages ive been waiting but then I did book her in august!!! I have another EP report from Oct last year hence why weve waited.

under the new EHCP transfer over from a statement they recommend that if your EP report over 2 years old a new report should be done.

BackToSchoolTOWIE Tue 04-Nov-14 18:06:56

If it's for Tribunal, then normally they have a shelf-life of around 6 months - even though certain tests can't be repeated within a year. This happened with my DC's 2 Tribunals - the second Tribunal was about 10 months after the first and everyone advised to have updated reports for the 2nd Tribunal. Although it was obviously expensive to have the 2nd set of reports, it did show that the situation had deteriorated dramatically in those 10 months and that my son needed urgent help asap. The Judge used both sets of reports in her findings for the 2nd Tribunal.

Icimoi Tue 04-Nov-14 18:23:08

Make sure you book experts with experience of tribunal work. You need someone who knows how to write reports for those purposes and isn't scared of being a witness if necessary.

ouryve Tue 04-Nov-14 22:22:32

If you know there's a huge gap in documented evidence that would make a difference to the basis for appeal, then get the reports now and have an update, closer to the date. I did this with DS1 - waited until I had a private OT report before lodging my appeal because 75% of what I was appealing was based on what we all knew, but had no written evidence of, whatsoever. OT was prepared to stand as a witness, if LA hadn't conceded. OT was probably instrumental in not having to go all the way.

Otherwise, as others have said, get the bookings made for nearer the date. You can officially send new evidence in up to about a month before and then there's provision to submit it after then and even on the date, if absolutely necessary, though that's not recommended unless you have no choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now