Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Crap educational psychologist report

(17 Posts)
adrianna22 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:29:03

Hi

Just received DS educational psychologist report for the statement.

For the most part, it hasn't added DS speech and language difficulties and also doesn't state his speech and language.

All it says that TA must train with ASD support worker and visual timetables.

What the???

What should I do next?

adrianna22 Thu 30-Oct-14 18:37:47

Note to self:

Don't always believe a teacher when they say your child is fine.

I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't to hurt that my DS is struggling.

But oh well.

PolterGhoul Thu 30-Oct-14 19:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fairgame Thu 30-Oct-14 20:32:07

S&L isn't normally included in an EP report.
You could always ring the EP and discuss your concerns.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 30-Oct-14 21:08:17

Ability to express yourself and the difference between that and actual cognitive ability can be covered by an EP.

It was actually an EP that 'discovered' my Ds' severe language disorder despite having received SALT for 3 years. She directed the SALT in what to assess/look for.

adrianna22 Fri 31-Oct-14 03:04:12

....also on the report, there's many references that DS needs to use a timetable.

Again, the usual autism intervention method.

I have no issues with time-tables at all! But I just find that instead of actually WORKING with DS, they use the timetables to do the trick. Am I wrong about this?

This is not fair at all, I want them to HELP DS with his needs.

If I knew this before, I would not of got DS diagnosed.

adrianna22 Fri 31-Oct-14 03:33:36

Also many of the recommendations was mainly for the TA to get ALOT of ASD training and to go on many training timetable courses <rolls eyes>.

I give up.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 31-Oct-14 07:40:57

Timetables isn't an autism intervention. Ask them how your Ds' use of timetables is going to close the gap between him and his peers or at least prevent it widening.

Ask them why they've recruited a TA who DOESN'T know how to use a timetable ffs!

Go through his other needs as stated in the report and ask how specifically the suggested training is going to address them. Ask why there has been no training recommendations for the teacher, or for the parents for that matter.

adrianna22 Fri 31-Oct-14 09:18:32

Hi Starlight

No, I worded it wrong.

Timetables is not an autism intervention. But it's the usual recommendation for kids with autism to be heavily implemented with visuals and timetables. I'm just worried that they will get too focused on these timetables- as it's heavily detailed in his report- and not on his other needs.

I have so many suggestions for them to use.

Thanks for the suggestions of questions, I'll defiantly will ask the EP.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 31-Oct-14 10:14:47

I fought against timetables for ages. And I won. And then the TA didn't do anything at all.

I realised too late that the visual timetable was actually pretty good at keeping HER on task and a way for her to 'revise' the plan of the day before ds came in, and then, after going through the timetable with him, she had to commit to delivering what was on it.

Without one, the days just seemed to disappear with no therapy or interventions at all.

PolterGhoul Fri 31-Oct-14 10:16:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adrianna22 Fri 31-Oct-14 10:57:21

I have no issues with visual timetables.

But it seems like that's the only thing they are doing, when they can do a heck of a lot more.

I was also worried that because DS doesn't care about change, when he starts using timetables, he may be so reliant on them that it causes a difficulty, when it wasn't a problem in the beginning.

adrianna22 Fri 31-Oct-14 11:12:20

Am I in denial? I really don't think I am. But I'm being painted like I am, every time I don't agree with something.

The reason why they are introducing the timetable is because well "DS has autism and all kids with autism like structure". Well for some odd reason DS hates novelty, lives change and does not get anxious.

Visual timetables would definitely help his understanding.

But is it wrong that I just want the professionals to look at DS, rather than solely looking at his diagnosis.

Not only that though, but I feel like every times they say something about DS that doesn't fit in with the stereotypical view of a child with autism, I'm viewed that I'm in denial.

For example, I asked his TA if I should place DS at some holiday club at a school he hasn't been here before and her reply was "...well I don't think that's a good idea as kids with autism love structure and hate change..". hmm To say, I did ignore that "advise" and did put DS in the holiday club and he loved it.

I didn't expect this post to be long. But I'm just so frustrated.

sammythemummy Fri 31-Oct-14 14:42:40

That's the frustrating part isn't it? That they lump all dc with ASD as having the same issues.

My dd has no issues with change nor does she need a visual for what's coming, a simple instruction will do, but I have a feeling they will introduce timetables and visuals for school.

I don't know what you should do next but I definitely agree with you.

star when you fought with them, what alternative did you give them?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 31-Oct-14 14:54:09

'star when you fought with them, what alternative did you give them?'

I asked them to tell him what was coming next, or give him warnings there was a change coming, or to refer to the CLASS visual timetable.

They said he was a visual learner, so I asked them for proof of that, to which their only response ever was 'All children with ASD are visual learners!'.

NOT good enough.

If ds was a visual learner then how comes he doesn't understand body language ffs. It is SO much more complicated than that.

Plus the pictures they wanted to use with him would have required a whole other level of training and education which they were not qualified to deliver.

i.e. First you have to have learned the concept being communicated about, then you have to learn that the picture represents the concept (rather than being a random 2D object of its own), then you have to learn that the picture represents that the concept is likely to occur soon, then you have to understand that what happens soon, may well not be very much like the picture at all (i.e. a stick drawing of a man with a football to represent PE, when you are about to gymnastics, and engage in the forgotten to communicate change of clothes.).

You can't just locate an image, present it to a child and satisfy yourself that some meaningful communication has happened, - but this is exactly what happens, all the time.

Then the child, more confused than ever, plus denied the opportunity to learn the meaning of 'Come on x, lets get changed into our indoor PE kit and go to gymnastics'.

This stuff needs EXPERTS to deliver, if at all.

okay rant over.......

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Fri 31-Oct-14 18:18:13

Sorry the report was craphmm

ime crap EP report or surprisingly good EP reports for SA both result in an identically crap statement. In fact DS2 had the good report but his draft statement was for less hours than DS1 with his crap report and teachers denying any problems. Only 18 months apart and the same LA SEN team confused

adrianna22 Fri 31-Oct-14 23:26:26

You should of seen the psychologist face when I told her DS loves getting his hair cut at the barbers shock.

Point exactly starlight! I'm worried that they are going to spend extra time and training on this timetables, when they could be doing other things too.

They could go on a Makaton course
Communication classes
Floor time
Hanen course
ABA

So MUCH they can do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now