Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Having a wobble after Educational Psychologist report

(9 Posts)
AnnieEdison Wed 10-Sep-14 16:50:13

My DS (just 5) is in the process of getting an EHCP due to a severe speech disorder. We got the Educational Psychologist report today and it has shaken me. I had accepted the speech issues, meaning he does require speech therapy, but I have wanted to keep the rest of his life more fun and so have not been trying any reading, maths things with him. I am quite reluctant to do any kind of formal education with him at this age. He is fascinated by science and is asking questions constantly about the world and I hoped that encouraging this was enough.

However, the report has shown that there are quite significant differences in his ability on the WPPSI-IV. In some areas he is above average (verbal comprehension), but in others he is below average (pattern construction, matrices). I am worried as there seems to be such a difference (87th percentile vs 8th and 14th percentile) which is how the issues with his speech first presented. He was developing well in all areas except speech.

Now I am worrying that I should be doing something to help as I really don't want his confidence to be knocked by not being able to keep up or understand in the class. He is already facing the challenge of not being able to talk properly and now this. I am not sure what I am asking - I don't even understand the results enough to know how to help him??

Has anyone got any knowledge of these kinds of tests, and of how to help a child that needs some support this early? The EP has suggested that this could lead to problems in both Maths and writing.

Bilberry Wed 10-Sep-14 17:45:57

I'm not sure how to interpret the test - have you had a meeting with the EP to discuss it and what could help? But generally I wouldn't consider having fun and helping with maths/reading as mutually exclusive! Do you read to your ds/share books together? Maths is easy to incorporate into things; baking is a good one as you can get him to measure/weigh things, count things out, etc. Counting things, dividing (eg strawberries between children), jigsaws, board games all help and are fun.

AnnieEdison Wed 10-Sep-14 18:21:06

Oh thanks for answering - we haven't had a meeting. I have read the bottom of the letter again and I think I have the option to call actually so can do that. I will also discuss with the teacher in the hope that she can explain it to me in terms I understand.

I do take your point about the fun and education not being mutually exclusive. He is obsessed with learning so in some ways makes it very easy. I think my main concerns are the fact that we do all of those things as part of our life so worry that maybe that isn't enough now. I have heard that children with severe speech difficulties do go on to have dyslexia and worry that this is the beginning of that, given the sharp contrast in scores. I have no experience with anything like this so always worry that I am not doing the right thing or being proactive enough. I took a very relaxed view regarding his speech problems and what he needed was early intervention, not a wait and see approach. Luckily the professionals talked me into this!

tempe48 Wed 10-Sep-14 22:48:33

I'd ask the ed psy if the matrices test can be taken as the purest test of intelligence?

The verbal side of IQ tests can be depressed for instance by language problems. (DD has a language disorder and dyslexia, so while I know her verbal IQ scores were always affected by the language disorder, I never got to see what just the effects of dyslexia on these subtests would be)

I'd also ask if the relatively lower scores on the non verbal IQ subtests could be explained possibly by dyspraxia? Have you noticed him having problems with fine motor skills like using scissors, doing up laces, drawing/handwriting; or visual perception problems or visual motor integration (copying off the blackboard, moving out of the way of a ball, etc)?

Verbal or oral dyspraxia can go hand in hand with dyspraxia.

In our LA, the ed psy reports used to have objectives of their special education and recommendations for strategies to help the child. Are there none in this report? I'd ask.

Jerbil Thu 11-Sep-14 06:51:31

It has been said to me that a spiky profile is typical in ASD, dyslexia etc. however, I am only aware of the typical pattern my DS has. For example good visual spatial skills, stronger visually and poor in phonological awareness etc. some of DS score were 96th centile, others really low. What I've learnt about these tests is that results can change depending how your child is reacting on the day. Also that the results can be completely disregarded by professionals who may say, well he could do that if he tried. Pointless!

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 11-Sep-14 09:52:50

my daughter's scores are spiky but verbal is lower than non verbal and we were told that can be an indicator for dyslexia, language disorders or ASD. I think that non verbal being lower was sometimes interpreted for dyspraxia or ASD, can't remember where ADD and ADHD fitted in.

the language reason matches my daughter as she has since been diagnosed with a language problem plus on that particular bit of the test (it was only one very very low subtest out of the verbal lowered it) she just kept saying she didn't know and to be honest I think she just wasn't interested and didn't want to give the wrong answer or think about it, she seemed bored.

It would definitely sound like your son's scores indicate something and you need them to interpret it for you. I would say that that isn't linked to his speech disorder but that without it his verbal score would probably have been higher.

If it was all the patterns and visualising things he struggled with then it could be due to something unobvious like eye convergence so it might be worth looking at taking him to see a behavioural optometrist. the EP can probably tell you of one locally or maybe the school can. If eyes aren't working well with each other then looking for patterns must be very difficult. kind of like those 3D pictures where you have to go cross eyed almost to see the image? I would try that whilst waiting for someone to explain the results more thoroughly.

Tambaboy Thu 11-Sep-14 10:53:10

ds verbal comprehension was around 48th percentile and visual 99th. He has a dx of ASD.
I think the best thing is to phone EP and ask what the scores mean.

sallysizzle Thu 11-Sep-14 16:08:16

Can anyone make any sense of this? She also has mild to moderate speech delay and is 5 yrs old. X

Oluwa Wed 08-Nov-17 11:30:25

Hi Mums,

Just a note - You are doing the best job on planet earth.

Just had my daughters EHCP and I questioned the report from the Educational Psychologist because he only concluded / completed his report based on his 30 minutes assessment of my daughter at home. He did not visit any of her nurses at all.

I have complained about it to the council and they replied that 30 minutes is enough to complete a report. I know that it is wrong, but did not know where or what else to do. I have visited the British psychology society website without any success.

Any more advise Mums?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now