Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Processing Disorder support thread

(481 Posts)
PolterGoose Mon 14-Jul-14 18:35:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Mon 14-Jul-14 18:50:40

Olaffles Mon 14-Jul-14 18:51:56

Found you! Thanks for starting this thread thanks I'll be reading with interest and contributing as best I can. Feel less alone now, thank you!

Alfiedoggy Mon 14-Jul-14 19:04:47

Wow ! I'm so pleased this has been started ! My ds (6) was diagnosed with SPD for mostly taste , smell and hearing senses .. Have got a GP referral to ot and have made his room as sensory friendly as possible but this eve has been pretty tough sad lots of meltdowns . Has anyone heard of the listening programme and have any advice about it ? Xx

Ineedmorepatience Mon 14-Jul-14 19:44:18

Hi I will join you smile

My Dd3 has virtually the same Dx's as polters Ds except instead of AS she has ASD!

We are currently doing a Sensory Integration therapy program. She absolutely loves it and tries everything.

She has been working really hard at crossing mid line recently and we are hopeful that her brain may start sharing messages from one side to the other more effectively.

Good idea for this thread polter grin

Jacksterbear Mon 14-Jul-14 21:02:27

Yay! I'm in. smile

My 7.6 yo was dxed with SPD & anxiety last June, followed by ASD with a PDA profile in December. He's responded really well to a sensory diet, but currently his anxiety levels are through the roof and we're having a really tough time.

Have actually just received a report from his OT after she observed him in school to review progress... Will report back anything interesting!

Thanks for starting the thread.

Jacksterbear Mon 14-Jul-14 21:06:55

Oh! Also wanted to add, am half way through the "too loud..." book and am finding it extremely enlightening re myself - so many things I struggle with and have always assumed to be purely psychological are actually I think explained by sensory issues - food issues, weak stomach, intimacy issues, breastfeeding failure, to name just a couple!

PolterGoose Mon 14-Jul-14 21:18:51

PolterGoose Mon 14-Jul-14 21:20:44

Ineedmorepatience Mon 14-Jul-14 21:55:00

Ooo, Dd3 loves the scooter boards at OT. They use them loads smile

Shame I havent got anywhere suitable for her to use one! sad

Alfiedoggy Tue 15-Jul-14 06:25:41

Poltergoose thank u so much !!!! That link was brilliant !! Really kind of you smile smile xx

mumsuz Tue 15-Jul-14 11:06:19

Thanks for this. DD has sensory issues - on lots of things she is under rather than over responsive. It has taken me a long time to work out what kinds of things should go into her sensory diet to energise her and wake her up -now we need to get the school to understand as well!

Will definitely look at your sensory profile and alert links.

OddFodd Tue 15-Jul-14 11:17:19

Alfie - my DS's OT tried it a couple of times with him and he really didn't like it so we didn't pursue it further. Definitely worth trying it out before buying.

Great idea for a thread Polter smile

I've been doing a sensory diet with my DS for over 6 months and it's had a huge impact. I really do recommend building it into your day. I've found Growing an In Synch Child a really useful 'toolbox'. There's also an app called Brain Works which is a really good self-help tool. My DS is a little too young for it at the moment but it's really good for helping kids with SPD learn to self-regulate

Perchkin Tue 15-Jul-14 11:32:54

Great idea for a thread. And some really useful links. Thank you Polter.

My DS is aged 6 and has SPD and ASD. He has been seeing an occupational therapist since he was 4. He did a listening program for about 3 months at the start of his OT, and has been following a sensory diet for the last year and a half (although I have to confess that I have been very poor at implementing this over the last 2 months).

He has become very hyperactive and inattentive over the last 4 months and the OT is going to try him with a new listening program and a new sensory diet following her recent assessment.

We are about to start an Alert program over the summer months (a weekly course over 6 weeks which is designed to help a child self regulate their state).

I will have a look at the app you mention odd - it sounds useful.

Thankgoodnessforcheerios Tue 15-Jul-14 12:40:11

Thanks Polter! my DS was diagnosed with SPD just yesterday and we are waiting for his sensory diet to arrive in the post. I will be making use of all your wonderful links flowers

PolterGoose Tue 15-Jul-14 20:41:12

Levantine Tue 15-Jul-14 21:08:36

Brilliant idea. Thank you. I have a 7yo with asd, but I think his sensory issues are much more impairing than his social communication ones.

I found the £4 sensory profile toolkit you recommended made a lot of things slot into place - how a child can be hypo and hyper sensitive, be over sensitive in different parts of he their body and also at different times. I totally recommend it.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 15-Jul-14 21:42:36

I'm in. thanks.

One hypersenstive, +asd

one hypo sensitive but with the added complication of some hypersenstivities to noise.

head teacher would deny there is a problem though.

Levantine Wed 16-Jul-14 06:46:15

I think hypo sensitivities really boggle the minds of people who aren't real quite experienced with spd. Hyper sensitivities are easier to understand.

Jacksterbear Wed 16-Jul-14 10:31:59

levantine, yes, I was totally confused by the hyposensitivities - and by the idea of being both hyper and hypo. When ds was first given his SPD dx, the paed said it was glaringly obvious from just observing him. I totally didn't get then what she had seen but now I know it was his constant vestibular and proprioceptive sensory seeking (fidgeting, rocking, hanging upside down, chewing, fiddling, clinging and climbing on laps, headbutting etc!), which I hadn't really paid any attention to previously!

Ds' sensory difficulties are: poor tactile and auditory discrimination, vestibular hyposensitivity, weak proprioception, sensory-based motor difficulties, hypermobility, and executive functioning issues (planning, organisation etc).

mumsuz Wed 16-Jul-14 11:15:57

For all those on the sensory support thread, does anyone have dc who grind their teeth? DD grinds her teeth a lot during the day - often when concentrating but not just if she is finding something tricky. So, she would do it when colouring and drawing too.

Some people have suggested some kind of mineral deficiency but various OTs have said that it is sensory or linked to stress.

Her OT has given me some of those sensory chews but she cant hold that and chew while doing things with her hands iyswim. The other suggestion is to tell her she is doing in and make her do something else like hum but frankly that isnt working.

The other alternative is letting her get on with it, if that is what she needs to do.

Any thoughts welcome.

DayBurner Wed 16-Jul-14 11:28:49

Hi, I'm still trying to work out my son's sensory issues.

He's 4 with a diagnosis of AS and I've been trawling old threads to find out about some kind of seat/cushion that people on MNSN have mentioned in the past to help sitting still. No luck yet.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd be grateful to be pointed in the right direction as I'm thinking it might help at school in September.

Thanks.

Thankgoodnessforcheerios Wed 16-Jul-14 11:30:02

Mumsuz my DS grinds his teeth too but only just before he falls asleep. It's like he is getting one final movement in. Sorry I have no suggestions but will be watching with interest as not sure whether it causes damage to the teeth in the long term. I seem to remember my sister wearing some sort of gum shield at night as she too ground her teeth but this is not something my ds would tolerate.

Thankgoodnessforcheerios Wed 16-Jul-14 11:32:53

Hi Dayburner,

If you go to Polter's second message above and click on the sensory direct link and then balls and cushions you should find what you are looking for smile

DayBurner Wed 16-Jul-14 11:43:47

Lovely!

Thanks, Cheerios.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now