Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help. School excludes sen child with 30 mins notice

(5 Posts)
Lesley25 Sat 05-Apr-14 11:56:34

Exactly that really. I'm posting because a friend of mine has had her son excluded on Friday just before the school breaks for Easter, because the school cannot afford to keep his TA anymore. He is starting a ss in sept but what the hell does she do now??? Transition was supposed to start after Easter, not to mention the upset of finding out so suddenly.

I've suggested calling the lea person urgently, calling the head at the ss also and explained how this surely has to be illegal.

What else can I suggest that we do? Oh I've also mentioned ipsea.
Any help ladies would be greatly appreciated, I hate the thought of this family suffering during Easter.

bochead Sat 05-Apr-14 12:07:24

Do NOT Phone people - EMAIL so that there is a written record of events.

Email to the HT and Chair of Governors stating that she is officially appealing her son's illegal term long exclusion from the school. Send a copy of this letter to the Director of children's services at the LA, the EWO and the SN officer. (a copy should go to Ofsted too).

The LA should provide home tuition if the school can't be brought into line after Easter, however a phone consultation with IPSEA should help clarify what steps she needs to take to ensure this happens. SOS!SEN can also be very helpful.

Sadly this situation is not uncommon for kids with SN - a trip over to the home ed boards may help her come up with stuff for her child to do at home while she waits for it all to be resolved.

PolterGoose Sat 05-Apr-14 13:16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lesley25 Sat 05-Apr-14 15:12:56

Thanks bochead and polter. Excellent advice and stuff we can help with xxx

Nennypops Sat 05-Apr-14 19:09:55

Have they done an official exclusion letter giving details of the right of appeal? If not, she could tell them it has no validity, he will be coming into school at the beginning of term and they must make the necessary arrangements with the LA to ensure he has the right support in place.

This is in any event clear disability discrimination and breaks a few more laws as well. Might she qualify for legal aid? It would be well worth her while to get solicitors' letters to all concerned to make sure this is sorted ASAP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now