Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Best Ipad

(9 Posts)
chuckeyegg Thu 03-Apr-14 20:14:45

I've decided to buy Ds an ipad for school and home. I'm a bit of a dinosaur with technology and I've seen lots of different ones. I'm very confused.

Please help. Thanks xx

ouryve Thu 03-Apr-14 21:18:26

Go for the iPad mini - the retina one if you can stretch to it, as the older one copes badly with iOS7. It's a lot less cumbersome and still has a good sized screen

zzzzz Thu 03-Apr-14 21:30:05

Mine has the basic mini it's a much better size for small hands. Set parental controls (google for instructions). I would recommend educational apps for weekdays and game apps only available at weekends (start as you mean to go on). You can delete them up to the cloud and reload on a Friday.

me55monster Thu 03-Apr-14 23:33:24

Second the suggestions to get a mini. We got a refurbed one from Apple (comes with same guarantee as new one) - good option if you're looking to save a few £. Would also highly recommend this case. My DDs iPad has bounced many times and survived smile. Btw comes in different colours grin

chuckeyegg Fri 04-Apr-14 08:31:47

Thank you very much for your replies. Good to know it's got bouncibility! I will definitely look into the refurbed ones. I was also concerned it might just become an expensive games console.

Do your children use them at school?

Thanks again

minionmadness Fri 04-Apr-14 08:45:34

My ds has a normal sized one with retina. He has a griffin cover on it which has protected it for nearly 18 months and with ds that is great.

We use loads of educational apps, yes he does play games but as a reward for using the educational ones.

He has just been awarded an ipad to use in school by the Inclusive technology support panel which was arranged by our SENCO. We had to supply evidence to support our application. Not sure if this is something that is available in your area, might be worth asking the question.

ouryve Fri 04-Apr-14 09:09:17

DS2 used to use mine at home, but his has a Nook HD, now - much cheaper, though there's a few apps he loves that aren't available on Android.

School have their own fleet of iPads grin

ouryve Fri 04-Apr-14 09:10:42

Cerebra give out IT grants, btw, if you can demonstrate, with back up, how your DS would benefit.

PolterGoose Fri 04-Apr-14 09:20:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now