Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

At what point do you cause a fuss?

(38 Posts)
PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 18:28:39

Ds was assessed at 3a in July last year. According to his teacher hs targetis a level four this year but his behaviour is not allowing him to meet this target (he has ADHD). He apparently isn't motivated. He will do the work when pushed but doesn't choose to do the harder work himself. At recent consultations I was told his levels were currently 3b/3c for that subject.

This to me says he has gone backwards. Communication and relationship with the school has broken down.

Where do I go from here? Help please!

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 18:32:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 18:36:31

He is eight, in year three now. No, not medicated. No specific support. He has done social skills classes last term before Christmas. He did bright stars this term. That's it.

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 18:37:31

But the behaviour they are annoyed about is tapping, banging, talking too loudly, making noises etc.

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 18:39:12

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 18:53:46

That's ok.
England.
Yes to formal dx.
IEP targets are to ask to join in ges at playtime, use strategies when frustrated and to work through social skills and stories.
No to ot, cant get referral. Eyes tested, hearing tested, discharged from salt as no issues, waiting list for cdac appointment, query ASD.

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 18:54:45

*games

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 18:55:57

Supposed to be reviewed in February but although we has a meeting it was counter productive and no new IEP.

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 19:00:24

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:06:09

No strategies AFAIK. He has a fidget toy but doesn't use it. There is background there but cant say as it will out me.

Not read that book, thanks, will have a look. We know there is some sensory stuff gong on but cant access an assessment.

We sent in some ADHD and teaching flyers but they were sent back home.

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:07:05

Oh he does have a special seating space at the front of the class for carpet time.

RaRaTheNoisyLion Thu 03-Apr-14 19:08:27

Yes make a fuss.

What they are saying is that your ds is making no progress due to his ADHD.

Differentiation needs to be made to the curriculum and if a barrier to his learning is motivation, then he'll need to have specific and measurable provision to match it.

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:08:27

They tell him off, he loses golden time and he is aent out of class for not listening or not doing as he is told.

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:09:58

Rara, she wont put it in writing.
What provision could be made for motivation? (Not sarky,, genuine q)

RaRaTheNoisyLion Thu 03-Apr-14 19:10:06

'They tell him off, he loses golden time and he is aent out of class for not listening or not doing as he is told.'

Excellent. Ask them to provide you with the evidence that demonstrates this is an effective strategy and ensures an improvement in his overall behaviour.

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 19:10:11

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 19:13:03

RaRaTheNoisyLion Thu 03-Apr-14 19:14:19

Tis, okay. Motivation is my all-time favourite subject grin

[[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motivation-Reinforcement-Turning-Tables-Autism/dp/1447748360 This is a great book on the subject of motivation. The focus is on autism but what works for autism works for everyone.

You can start with the premise that right now, you are most motivated, from all of your available options, by what you are doing, otherwise you'd be doing something else more motivating right?

RaRaTheNoisyLion Thu 03-Apr-14 19:15:16

www.amazon.co.uk/Motivation-Reinforcement-Turning-Tables-Autism/dp/1447748360

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:18:26

The reason is polter, they say nothing is wrong. It is all my fault. He plays up his DX ( when he has no idea what it is??)
I do r loads with him at home. I ho on courses and attend a support group. We have seen an improve ment Herr, a lot of which comes from understanding.
School behaviour has gotten worse.

Rara i would love to. But we are already marked in the heads eyes and it would be seen as attacking. I have two other children to go through this school.

We are meant yo be proving the relationship but i have a feeling this means rolling over and not challenging them.

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:18:47

To be improving.

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 19:25:41

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 19:26:40

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:48:15

I stepped back as it was getting to heated. I was too emotional. Too aggressive. So I stopped. Gave them a chance. Have them time. Let them do what they said they would. That didn't work. So I decided to help educate, work together. Meetings were denied. I sent in leaflets that were sent back. Without going nuclear I don't think we have any other option. D we? That's what I am asking I guess.

There are no places anywhere. We have looked. It would be home ed or nuclear fall out. sad

Don't worry, I know I need to do something, just not sure what. Need to get dh on board as well, so it is a three sided argument. sad

PopOfTheTops Thu 03-Apr-14 19:48:55

Sorry I know I sounded dearest. I guess I am just tired. I needed a rant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now