Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

dyspraxia assesment today, really impressed with ot

(8 Posts)
ditavonteesed Tue 01-Apr-14 20:08:02

wathced dd so closely she was able to give her little changes that are going to help her with things and dd felt really listened to. We are going back next week for some excercises to strengthen her weak areas, core and shoulders. I have now ordered the pen grips that made such a difference to her writing and drawn on all our cutlery with nail varnish. Dd used cutlery for her tea for the first time ever properly and cut up her own meat, ot promised her a certificate with a giraffe on it if she uses cutlery every day until we go back. She said she is going to organise sticker charts to help motivate her to do the excercises.
In 10 years this is the first time I have felt like someone was actually able to connect with dd and understand what she struggkes with. Her gross motor skills are fine which is a massive relief and she has a tremor which I am embarrased to say I have never noticed until today, ot said doc may or may not want to look into it further but it is nothing to worry about. I could see dd's visible relief that someone understood her, she asked her things that I ahve asked before but in such a way that dd told her everything that bothers her.
She also said that the difficulties with fine motor things could well be the explain the emotional problems dd has.
I was absolutly amazed with how thorough and detailed the ot was and how she made dd feel.

trulymadlydeeplyunlikeable Tue 01-Apr-14 20:35:31

brilliant for you and for dd. well done you for getting the help and to dd for her achievements today! The OT sounds great. I have realised what a difference a good OT can make but am still trying to find one!

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 01-Apr-14 20:46:58

that is brilliant. Don't feel bad for not noticing the tremor. DD has just been identified with a speech and language problem that I hadn't noticed either. NOW I think it is really bad and wonder how on earth I wasn't aware of it. The main thing is you have found someone who can help her.

PrinceRogersNelson Tue 01-Apr-14 20:53:03

My DD is 5.4 and has very poor fine and gross
Motor skills unfortunately, she has a whole host of other issues too, but the OT who sees her is the one person who like you say makes a real difference, helps DD to achieve and speaks to her in such a way that DD is the most compliant I have ever seen her. I am in awe of her skills as us her 1:1 at school.

OT is so important for kids.

I am glad it was do positive and productive for your DD.

PolterGoose Tue 01-Apr-14 21:10:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 01-Apr-14 21:26:40

Polter that is a great link - thank you

ditavonteesed Wed 02-Apr-14 07:29:58

polter thanks that link is brilliant.

autumnsmum Wed 02-Apr-14 07:59:23

That's great always nice to hear a positive story

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now